Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. DriveWFO

DriveWFO Veteran Member

That's what these forums are for. I've been busy getting the car ready for opening weekend (April 14/15), so I haven't been on this site much lately. I sold all my Vortec stuff a few months go.

2. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just thought I'd post a pic of a few Vortec intakes. Image is from one of the Holley techs who posts on Team Chevelle.

Left to right:

Edelbrock (RPM) 7116

Edelbrock Performer) 2116

Weiand (Action +Plus) 8121

[​IMG]

The Weiand 8121 competes against the Edelbrock 2216 in the marketplace and apparently is good for 25 HP over the Edelbrock part on the dyno. The Weiand is the latest manifold on the market for the Vortecs and was designed using the latest high-end software and cast using a permanent mold process.

The Weiand Air Strike for Vortec heads competes against the Edelbrock RPM Vortec 7116:

[​IMG]

3. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Dirt,anyone, any advice on porting 906 vortecs? I just got mine back from the shop where screw in studs and G-plates were installed. I want to just clean em up a bit(nothin crazy, dont wanna ruin a good flowin head) I do think theres room for improvment though with minor porting..
    Just under the valve in the intake port theres a raised(sharp) area. I should knock that down and smooth it out..
    On the EX side should I round off the short side radius?
    Ill probably round off the sharp corners on the guide bosses in the ports also.
    any mods to the chambers?
    then just match the ports to the intake and gasket...
    That new weiand looks to be the best vortec intake for street abuse..any opinions??
    Thanks alot..
    Hulk

4. Dirt Reynolds

Hulk, sounds like you gave the porting work a lot of thought. Did you read this article yet on porting Vortecs:

Porting Vortec Heads

5. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

ya I just followed the car craft article when I did mine. A little vague but helpful. I basically was too lazy to mess with the intake since I didn't want to mess a good thing up. The exhaust I smoothed out the short side turn and raised the roof about half (or less) a mm. I also cut cleaned up the guides but didn't touch the floor in front of port. I then smoothed out the chamber plug by using the car craft picture. I also cleaned up the area under the seat as it had a ridge that was sticking out on the exhaust. Just take your time and use a slow rpm when cutting. Spray some wd40 after you washed off the head so it doesn't rust when your finished. I also used plumbers putty on the seats when I was grinding so I didn't nick them. Just getting the exhaust vavles backcut really helps.

6. Dirt Reynolds

Just an FYI --the stock Vortec intake and exhaust valves are already back-cut.

7. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Thanks Dirt,Fabio, i did quite a bit of research on porting back when I ported my smoggers.. Thanks for that article Dirt. Ill be using that as a guide when I do my vortecs..
    I always used stones and sand rolls for porting, How do those carbide cutters work?Where can I get them?
    Thanks again
    Hulk

8. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

summit sells the carbide cutter, a three pack that are six" each for cast iron materials that sells for around 45 bucks. I looked at one place and was going to buy just one cutter but they wanted 15 bucks plus 10 s/h. The summit cutters are nice made in the usa pieces. They work well for getting around the guides and smoothed out the shortguide really easy, they cut really fast so if you press to hard or too much rpms, or stay in one spot you will have hole. I used the carbide cutters to start off and finished using the stones. Stones are easier to work with imo.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  9. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

10. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Thanks Fabio, I found those cutters..
    Hows the stock valves in the vortecs??Can they handle 300# of spring pressure and 7000 rpm blasts??
    Im gonna have to service the face on the EX valves as some are slightly pitted...
    Thought mabey Id just replace em with some manly budget rep. valves.
    Dont want to put an inferior part in though..
    Hulk