Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

good question hulk, but I don't see why the stock vavles won't handle it. Don't have the stems cut on the valves, the only advantage I see with going with different valves is to move to a 2.05/1.60 combo and raise the compression a tad since the stocker valves have huge dishes on them.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Dirt, gettin back to that article on porting vortecs..
    That 350 made some serious power with the mods!Can we belive these numbers??Thats an awful mild cam too boot...Not too far off the 500 mark..
    I'd be real happy with a motor like that..
    Hulk

3. 73 DEVILLE

73 DEVILLE Member

Hardline
    If I use the above mentioned tools, what seals should I use? Part numbers of the seals as well as whether Summit sells such seals and at what price for a set of 16? Thanking you in advance.

4. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Viton Seals, iirc .530" will double check

5. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. zachisageek

zachisageek Veteran Member

It looks like I get to join your vortec fun now as well.

I believe I am starting with a 383 with stock vortec heads. I bought the car as is, so I don't really know what work was done to the heads. I have 1.5 roller rockers and a comp cams 280H.

Is there any way to tell if I'm ok with my cam on the vortec heads?

I have some timing issues to work out first (49* advance at 1500 rpm....) but after that I want to make sure the valvetrain is still in good condition.

7. 72ElCamino

72ElCamino New Member

Well guys I'm completely new to this forum, but want to thank 73 Deville for introducing me to this site :)

I am currently building up a 72 El Camino, and recently got my hands on a 350/5.7L Vortec machine, currently feul injected but I am going carburated on it.

Currently looking at installing the Edelbrock performer RPM Air-Cap intake with a 650cfm carb. I will propably be bugging you guys a lot for more information as this is my 1st buildup I'm doing

8. hardline_42

What are you refering to when you ask if you're ok with your cam? Performance, lift clearance, vacuum etc.? If your clearance wasn't enough you'd probably have a lot of bent pushrods, smashed valve seals and pulled out studs.

9. hardline_42

Welcome! I love Elky's and my little brother is obsessed with getting one. The RPM air-gap is a good intake and made the most power compared to all other dual-plane intakes in al the tests I've seen. Your carb size seems adequate too dpending on the cam you plan to use. For a stock Vortec cam it might be a little much.

10. 72ElCamino

72ElCamino New Member

Thx for the welcome :)

Hardline would you rather advise me to go for a 600cfm carb with the stock Vortec cam, another question I have is this. Seeing as I am going from fuel injection to carburetted I will need to replace the distrubutor, planning on installing a 14" airfilter. So would like to know what would be a good distibutor, I am for the moment leaving everything stock accept for the fact that I am going carburetted.

I will post some pics of what everything looks like now and then will post pics when I am done with everything :)

Any advice would be highly appreciated

Last edited: May 13, 2007