Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. jsmart

jsmart Veteran Member Gold Member

that's a good answer!!! I am taking it to the machine shop Wednesday so I just wanted to be sure this was not fatal. I will have them Mag it (can you explain what that is?)

Sorry and Thanks!

2. sschevellefan

sschevellefan Veteran Member

Magging is magnaflux. It`s how thay check for cracks. Is that block standard or bored over? I`ve seen them like that before but they were usually bored out pretty far. Take a good look at the rest of them. If any of them are thin they all should be ground on a radius.

3. jsmart

jsmart Veteran Member Gold Member

I see. The others look ok. I don't know the history of the engine and not sure how to tell if it has been bored over. The person I got it from thought it was original never rebuilt. I will see if the speed shop thinks they should be ground to a radius. thanks for your help!

4. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Would you guys agree with the following info?
    Gaskets sets -
    FelPro HS7733PT-16 upper
    FelPro CS8510-1 lower

5. CW383

CW383 New Member

Stock rockers

Hello all, new member here. First let me compliment you all on such a great condensed information page. So far it's answered many questions for my build. It's a bargain basement 350, flat top tops, 230(@050).480 cam, Performer Rpm intake and 906 heads with Z28/LT1 springs. I used the Ghetto grind on a friends lathe to extract 3/32 from the retainers, so the .480 should be ok even with 1.6 rockers. For now, stock rockers are being used. My question, and I apologize if its been asked before, about what lift will stock rockers accomodate? Aftermarkets will be used in time, but for now I'm using the stock self guided. Do I need the slots machined and if so can it be done at home? Think cheap. : ). Thanks alot guys! Curtis

6. old blue 75

old blue 75 Veteran Member

I have used stock rockers with a .490 lift cam with no stud clearance issues.
    But I would still check it.:bowtie: Yes if you have clearance issues you can grind out
    the slot with a die grinder & burr.

7. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stock rockers work fine. I used them with my .488"/.510" lift cam and never had any issues.

8. CW383

CW383 New Member

Vortec Manifold Bolts, Gm Or Arp?

I saw a bit back someone had taken a picture of the gm bolts vs. arp and they looked quite differant, the GM's being longer for that auto torque feature. I like the arp's better as I can get them in stainless and they wont rust. Has anyone had trouble with the arp's not sealing the manifold well?

9. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

I have enjoyed this thread more than any other on this site, and up until yesterday, I never had a need to post any questions concerning it. I just bought a brand new set of GM Vortecs (906), and I have been researching which tools I would need to cut the guides and spring seats. I plan on running a Lunati Voodoo cam (60103: 227/233 @ .050 110 LCL .489/.504 lift) I bought the cam, lifters, and springs as a set. The springs are 1.440" with a 1.75 installed height. I want to post my findings and let the experts on here to tell me if I'm on the right track. Note: I went to a local machine shop, and he quoted me $150 to do the job.

These part numbers and prices are from www.competitionproducts.com

Part # 7010 PC seal cutter 11/32" x .500 $48.99
    Part # 4718 Spring seat cutting tool 1.440"/.630 inner $44.99
    Part# s5300 PC seals (16 each) $19.95

Is this an easy mod to do at home? Are these tools fool-proof where you can't "over-cut" the guide heights and the spring seat depths? I assume to get the spring heights right, you cut, stop, install the valve, measure, re-cut if necessary. This is the only part of the job that concerns me the most. I want the heights to be exact on all 16 valves.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I bought all those tools from comp cams makes cutting smooth as butter and I just use my vernier caliper to check the hight of the guide the make the determination of how much is needed to take off. Get an old head to practice on get a feel for the cutting then perform the same on your vortecs. I am sure Dirt can help you even more.