Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did the 'ghetto grind', since for my application (cam/spring combo) that's all that was required. I have not used the cutters personally so I'll defer to the guys who have as to the specifics of using them.

2. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've used these tools many times at home with a Harbor Freight low speed drill with no problems. In fact, when I was a little more active on the site, I had a "brotherhood-of-the-traveling-Vortec-tools" thing going on where I would loan the tools out to members for the cost of shipping, and they could just send them to the next member that needed them. I'd be glad to start that up again if there's a need.

As far as the actual machining, the most important thing is to have good valve guides. The tighter the guides, the less slop there is between the arbor and the guide and the more precise the machining will be. If your guides are in need of replacement, just get them knurled for the machining and then replace them.

There is no "stop" built in to the tool to keep you from cutting too much so go slow, measure constantly and some WD40 helps along with the cutting too. The first one will be the slowest because of constant measuring but the rest you can approximate when you're getting close to the height by comparing it to the previous one. Remember, springs have a range of installed height so don't kill yourself over every thousandth. Also, remember to factor in the height of the spring seat locators which I would recommend using on any head with machined spring seats.

3. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. After that, I think I'm ready to "do the deed". Hardline 42, if you're still willing to loan out the cutters, I'll take you up on it and kick you down some bucks for the money you'll have saved me.

My heads are brand-new, so the guides are virgin. The arbor will have a nice, secure fit.

Next question- What's the possibility of the stock retainers working with my Lunati 1.440" springs? If there's a shred of doubt, I'll get new retainers.

4. hardline_42

Alex, let me check on the OD's of the cutters I have (I've got 2 different sizes) and you can PM me with your info. As far as the retainers, I'd just get the matched set for your springs. I always try to match components by brand just for security.

5. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

Hardline_42

Did you get my PM?

Update: I checked the data sheet for my Lunati springs (part# 73943), and I must have overlooked that they are 1.224", thus making them a drop-in. The tool I need is the one that cuts down the guide boss. The spring pockets should be just fine as is.

6. 73 DEVILLE

73 DEVILLE Member

Hi Dirt
    How can I get access to the link of PORTING VORTEC HEADS.
    I have tried numerous times but all I could see is the first page with MR Air.

7. old blue 75

old blue 75 Veteran Member

I think the new web sites for some of the mags suck.:mad:

8. hardline_42

Yeah I just checked my PMs. I'll ship them to you and you can just PayPal me afterwards.

9. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep -- they changed it since I first posted that link. Kind of dumb to just put part of an article up there -- either put the whole thing up for folks to read or don't put it up at all. :rolleyes:

Edit:

I've got the main page of that article saved from way back -- which shows all the work done with descriptive text. Anyone who wants the story can just PM me and I'll send it to you. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  10. old blue 75

old blue 75 Veteran Member

305 vortec heads

Any one have any info on the 305 vortec heads( good or bad) are the
    ports,chambers smaller? Any info on flow numbers. I ran across a set cheep
    just wandered if they were any good.:confused:

old blue 75