Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. BlackDog82

BlackDog82 Veteran Member

..... this Vette doesn't have enough torque to pull the skin off of a grape, and when I do run the car, I have to deep-stage to have any chance of cutting a good-light, so my usual dial-in is 16.0x to 16.4x, depending-upon it's temperment that given-day:
    in the early-'80s, my year-old Z28 ran 14.40s @ 97 MPH, and I'd be happier than a pig in mud to run that quick/fast with the C3.....

:crazy:

I'm more-concerned about it not-running on 93-octane SUNOCO than what ET/MPH it will deliver.
    ;)

2. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

I've read on some other sites that Crane has a drop-in spring that is supposedly good for .550" lift, but thats all I know. Not sure if stock retainers will work with it. Do a Google search, something should come up.

3. jsmart

jsmart Veteran Member Gold Member

Will a Comp Cam Xtreme Energy 268 work with Vortec heads without modification?

Part Number 12-268-4
    Engine 1955-1998 Chevrolet
    262ci-400ci
    8cyl.
    Grind Number CS XE268H-14
    Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intake Exhaust
    Valve Adjustment 0 0
    Gross Valve Lift 0.479 0.48
    Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 268 280

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.006
    Open Close
    Intake 24 64
    Exhaust 78 22

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 110 Intake CL
    Intake Exhaust
    Duration At 0.05 224 230
    Lobe Lift 0.319 0.32
    Lobe Separation 114

thanks!

4. fiscus

fiscus Veteran Member

To use that cam you'll need the matching spring recommended by comp, the 981. You'll also need to measure the distance between the retainer and the seal with a caliper to make sure your heads have the clearance, maybe they will maybe they won't. It helps to push down on the seals to make sure they are seated all the way.

5. jsmart

How 'bout this solution...will this work for my application??? I could not find any more information on this but would spend the money if it will work. Looks like I can get plenty of lift from this solution, but not sure if anyone has proven it out. I would prefer not to do any machining as I already have the heads on the engine.

By the way I have 1.5 roller rockers for the heads.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  6. jsmart

anyone?????

7. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Machining for standard intake

At a swap meet yesterday I saw a set of fastburn heads that were drilled for both standard 6-bolt & 4-bolt (vortec style) intake manifolds. This seemed like a really desirable mod, since it opens up the intakle manifold choices. I already have the vortec heads and will be installing them in a 2nd gen Camaro with a stock flat hood, where hood clearance is an issue. The vortec intakes (except a performer) all seem to be to tall to fit under my stock hood. Has anybody had this mod performed? How expensive? Any drawbacks or problems with sealing?

8. twistedwrench

twistedwrench New Member

I have seen many questions raised about the 5.0 vortec heads all over the net. and this thread is the best by far I have run across for vortec head information. Thought it would be a great place for this info.
    I had a set of 99 vortec 5.0 heads lying around and curiosity got the best of me on them. I wanted to see what the true difference was and how they actually performed. I have seen postings on other sites where they are said to be a junk head and will not perform. I have also seen postings about the chambers being very large and the ports being very small. I didn’t think this could be so, as the vortec 5.0 truck mill is no slouch for the weight it pulls around.
    Testing the cc volume between a set of 5.0. 5.7 And e-tec 200 I got to see what the real difference was. The 5.0 chambers are indeed a tad smaller then the 5.7. The exhaust ports are about the same and the intake just slightly smaller and I am sure this is due to the raised ramp in the intake port. The valves are also smaller.
    Taking them even farther I used the comp cams cutting tools. (A very easy thing to do) and milled down for more lift, pos seals, screw in studs and guide plates. Also opened up the push rod holes slightly for clearance. Added a set of z springs and bolted them to a 350. The mill was already set to perform and is in a very light rx7. 6al, Mallory unilite, long tubes, Edelbrock rpm air gap, with dual 500 thunders, elgin 500/500 106lsa cam, 3400 stall, ect and took it out for a pound. The heads performed very well low, mid and up into the 6g range without flaw. At about 6200 they shut down fast. I was convinced at that point that anyone that was bashing the heads had never even used them. Lol seems to be the case with many performance parts bashed on the net. I wanted to get a comparison between all three heads on the same mill but I spun a bearing before I could get to the etecs. the etcs belong on my 409 that is soon finished anyways and the shop is getting busy again with spring here, so getting to test all three that way just isn’t going to work out.
    I would definitely not be afraid to run the heads again and I will be doing so. Not on the car they were tested on but I will be using them on my daily beater with a very mild 350.
    Just thought maybe someone might be interested with this info and if you run across a set they may be a perfect head for that low buck beater.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Twisted -- that's some great info and pics, thanks for sharing! :cool:

10. jsmart

Just an update since I did not get an response to my last post (maybe nobody had an answer).

I used the Sallee Chevy Crane Cam 10309-1 Springs (ordered from Jegs around $180) modification with my Cam listed above and Vortec heads and I am getting plenty of clearance. I started the car last night and it sounds great. If the rain will hold off for a bit I will get my first test drive in with this new engine.

FWIW I built the engine from the 2000 Chevy High Performance "Goodwrench Quest." I am getting a little higher horsepower (415) and torque (438) than they were but my block is bored 30 over. If you have any questions on the build ask away, it has a sweet sound and I can't wait to get it on the street.

Thanks for all the info on the Vortecs I wanted to give back a bit. If anyone has questions about my build let me know. It may be old news, but it is a great build on a budget (and no I don't work for them, and this was my first EVER engine build)