vortec head plug removal

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by HULKZ28, Jan 4, 2007.

1. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

These heads have a square plug in them thats 5/16.. Is there a tool that removes them? I could use a piece of square stock and an adj. wrench i guess...Prob. have to heat it??
    Hulk

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

is this on the outside of the head? i dont remember seeing a plug anywhere else... like where a sensor should go ,right? I just used a small breaker bar to get mine out..

3. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

use a pipe wrench , first lightly tap (so you dont crack anything) the head of the bolt with a hammer to break the threads loose, then use a pipe wrench to mangle the square head untill you break it loose, then replace it with either a guage or a new plug. I never reuse old plugs, too cheap to replace, once the threads get all oxidized and chewed from corrosion they are harder to get out a second time.
    if its REALLY in there, you can heat it with a propane torch so you dont get it too hot, then soak it in oil untill it cools so that it will draw the oil in around the threads, do this about 5 times and then try breaking it loose once it cools.
    goodluck.

4. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Its a square hole.. nothing to grab with a pipe wrench..But thanks anyway..
    hulk

5. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

square recessed hole? us your ratchet that recess should be 3/8" or 1/2" like your 1/2" ratchet. spray with penetrating oil first and let it soak in.

6. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

you can also warm it up/make a little thread clearance,, by smacking it repeatedly with a flat ended piece of round metal stock and a hammer. and i always pop it to break it free by tightening it FIRST so that you hear/feel it break free. i'd use a fairly long breaker bar vs a ratchet.

don't just gradually pull on the breaker bar/wrench,,,,,, pop it kind of like an impact hits,, clockwise. a slow pull will usually round out the square hole. IF it's gonna come loose,, that's what will get it free to loosen. an impact driver works ok sometimes too.

if not,, then it's drilling it out to near the thread diameter to relieve the radial pressure,, then the easy out method,, or grinding it out with a carbide burr till you see the tips of the peaks of the head threads. then peal it out with a pick and needle nose pliers looking something like a heli-coil. i usually use this last method cuz it always works with less time spent on it,, if it won't break free tightening it. usually less than 10 minutes. hope it's not in the car!!! that's a mother #((@#9 sometimes when they stick in there.
    good luck.

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

It should be a 3/8" square. The kind you can shove the end of a 3/8" socket extension into. They usually come in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"- same as your typical socket drive sizes.

I can't recall having one that was 5/16" but I won't say anything's "impossible." The minute you say it's impossible 5 people crawl out of the woodwork with proof they had it on their engine.

8. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Its definetly 5/16 inch.. Guess ill have to drill and easy out it.. Or is that extract????
    Hulk

9. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

how about taking a 5/16" allen key, but grind it down so it has 4 sides..? easier than drilling it out..worth a shot..Just put a pipe over it for leverage to break the plug loose..

10. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Not a bad Idea speed...
    thanks
    Hulk