Vortec heads for budget sbc crate motor?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Grump, Jun 27, 2020.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

The heads would really wake up that engine with those smogger heads. Best bang for the buck in heads these days.

2. 350camaro

350camaro Veteran Member

How about a mini blower?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI3oC2p9ql6gIVDo3ICh1XPAIuEAQYASABEgJ1pfD_BwE

3. Grump

Grump New Member

Ya, I'm a little bit more old school and a lot more budget-conscious than that...

While I can appreciate seeing the hellcat Challengers running 10s at the track, hearing the supercharger whine and knowing that a computer is basically driving the car kind of doesn't do much for me...

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Welcome. I have recently used some stock Vortec heads on my Race car and I will tell you they make a ton of power. I have a 406 flat top engine and with the 906 "no porting" heads with nothing more than a fresh valve job, the car has gone mostly 11.50's and 60's@114 to 115mph. If that doesn't get the job done no head will. IMO the 882 is one of GM's worst heads made mostly with the very poor exhaust port. I have used some stock Vortec heads on my street car also and they work very well. The Vortec's are so good I can hang with a BBC 468 that is in a 69 Camaro and beat a lot of late model cars too boot. Does it sound like I am bragging? Well just a little, besides who else but GM can make a 170cc head that can beat a ZO6 and a Hellcat? Run'em you won't be sorry.

5. Grump

Grump New Member

Do you have a preference between the 906 and the 062 head?

1980RS likes this.
  6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

No, they are both about the same except one had an induction exhaust seat and the other has an hardened insert seat. Both will flow the same. Be sure to get them crack checked unless you know where the heads came off of.

7. Grump

Grump New Member

I'm looking at remanufactured heads from a cylinder head shop on eBay which makes a business out of that, they have a warranty and a good reputation as far as I can see,,, I posted the link in a previous post, it is Odessa out of Clearwater Florida--

8. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Excellent post right there....

9. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I have a new and never used set of Vortecs if anyone is interested. I live at zip 14616. It would costly to ship them as they each weigh about 50 pounds. $650.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Beware of who does the valve job as that is the key on those heads to make great power. If the shop does an interference valve job it will take like 20K for those valves to fully seat in. It's always best to find a used set check them for cracks then find a good performance shop to do a 3 angle or better performance valve job on them. I have bought several sets of Vortec heads, the most I have ever paid is $100 for low milers.