Vortec intake + Q-jet setup question

Francesco

Veteran Member
Hello guys! I need some advice on what should be the best fit for my 350 small block. I have a gm spec intake manifold to match with some nice L31 vortec heads. The intake is of course a squarebore flange. Now I decided that I was going to add a 1980 Q-jet carburetor for 350 chevrolet on the intake. Edelbrock offers a performer intake for vortec heads(2116) and it has the spreadbore flange to match my Q-jet. Is it better to go with the gm spec intake or the Eddy performer? Which one is the best match mechanically?

Thanks

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Might need an adapter for the GM intake with the Q-jet. That would add some height to the carb and maybe cause hood clearance problems. Seem odd to see the GM vortec intake with a square bore pattern though. I'd probably go for the Edelbrock intake if the height will work.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
OP francesco
In general, I don't like carb-to-intake adapter(s). As you know, they also raise the overall height; which some cars/hoods have little tolerance for.

Nothing odd about vortec intakes w/ squarebore flange; many prefer squarebore.

GM also offers an intake to fit Vortec and Qjet/spreadbore pattern. $$$$

If, if it were mine, I'd likely choose the correct intake to fit carb, heads & hood.

If ... IF you have a Known GOOD carb, I suggest acquire whatever intake fits that carb, your heads & hood.

?? did you & I have a written conversation about different intake part numbers and their heights ?

Last edited:

Francesco

Veteran Member
OP francesco
In general, I don't like carb-to-intake adapter(s). As you know, they also raise the overall height; which some cars/hoods have little tolerance for.

Nothing odd about vortec intakes w/ squarebore flange; many prefer squarebore.

GM also offers an intake to fit Vortec and Qjet/spreadbore pattern. $$$$

If, if it were mine, I'd likely choose the correct intake to fit carb, heads & hood.

If ... IF you have a GOOD carb, I suggest acquire whatever intake fits that carb, your heads & hood..

?? did you & I have a written conversation about different intake part numbers and their heights ?
I want to keep the Qjet on the engine. The edelbrock 2116 has the spreadbore flange to match with the Qjet and it fits the L31 heads. The pad height is 4.58.The one I have now is 4.08...Hood clearance would be optimal.

Francesco

Veteran Member
Might need an adapter for the GM intake with the Q-jet. That would add some height to the carb and maybe cause hood clearance problems. Seem odd to see the GM vortec intake with a square bore pattern though. I'd probably go for the Edelbrock intake if the height will work.
Its what I figured. Thank you!

kdsracing

Mar 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
Hello guys! I need some advice on what should be the best fit for my 350 small block. I have a gm spec intake manifold to match with some nice L31 vortec heads. The intake is of course a squarebore flange. Now I decided that I was going to add a 1980 Q-jet carburetor for 350 chevrolet on the intake. Edelbrock offers a performer intake for vortec heads(2116) and it has the spreadbore flange to match my Q-jet. Is it better to go with the gm spec intake or the Eddy performer? Which one is the best match mechanically?

Thanks
Edelbrock every time. The GM manifold is not engineered with performance in mind. Just emissions, economy and drivability.

Francesco

Veteran Member
Edelbrock every time. The GM manifold is not engineered with performance in mind. Just emissions, economy and drivability.
The Question is, Can I put a spreadbore carb on a squarebore intake? Id rather go with a spreadbore intake and be sure all gels nicely. Sandlapper's proposition is very interesting even if Edelbrock is very good.