VW TDI(2013) what are your thoughts?

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
I have a longer commute now(125 mile round trip) and want to find something a little better on gas/diesel.

I currently drive a 2015 tacoma 4x4 5 speed 2.7 that is averaging around 21mpg which is slightly higher than the factory rating. Being that.. I fill up ever 3 days to the tune of about 100 bucks.

I found a used 2013 Golf Diesel that should bump my MPG up to around 42/43 which is DOUBLE what I am getting. For the cost of fuel alone I should be able to save about 400 a month, which would take about 20 months to pay itself back on. I plan on staying at this job for the foreseeable future so it would pay itself off for sure, but is it worth it?

I haven't owned a VW but have had several neighbors and friends say they are awesome. The one I am looking at has 66,000 miles on it.

What are your thoughts?

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
There was a lawsuit by the epa that found vw was purposely programming the computer to pass smog testing then go back to producing excessive pollution under normal operations. Vw actually had to offer to buy back vehicles or give credit towards purchasing a new vehicle. Not sure how it affected resale but possibly prices are lower reflecting what happened and you’ll get a great mileage car at a good price!

our friend had one and kept it along with cash back. They drove the heck out of it with zero issues. Turbos are normally the high mileage part that wears out first. Have it fully inspected by someone who specializes in the vw diesel to ensure they know what weak points to look at. a regular mechanic likely won’t.

Last edited:

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
There was a lawsuit by the epa that found vw was purposely programming the computer to pass smog testing then go back to producing excessive pollution under normal operations. Vw actually had to offer to buy back vehicles or give credit towards purchasing a new vehicle. Not sure how it affected resale but possibly prices are lower reflecting what happened and you’ll get a great mileage car at a good price!

our friend had one and kept it along with cash back. They drove the heck out of it with zero issues. Turbos are normally the high mileage part that wears out first. Have it fully inspected by someone who specializes in the vw diesel to ensure they know what weak points to look at. a regular mechanic likely won’t.
Yes, this one has been updated and has a warranty until next year(and 120k miles but time will stop the warranty first).

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
After some research I decided to pay a little extra and go with a 2015 model.. 11 year 162k warranty from date in service so I would have roughly 4 years remaining for emissions related stuff