Walking on metal roof

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I ve always had shingled roofs at all my homes , and I m not scared of heights. But now I have a new metal roof , one I use to walk on when it was shingled last year without hardly a thought . I have to do yearly maintenance on four mechanical skylights ...check seals , lube , and wash . About an hours work or so. I climbed up the ladder and on to the roof and OMG was I spooked , wasn’t wet ,but I had minimum traction. I had to reach down and hold on to the raised seem to stop from sliding off the edge . I belly flopped my way back down exhausted. So there is no way I can do the work I need , I need both hands and two more ..lol.... I guess it’s my advanced age ..lol

Any hints on working on that surface ....I guess I ll find a 22 year old somewhere.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Pay someone else, that knows what they're doing on a roof. At 70yo, my times on roofs are very restricted now.

Oldskool62

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Tin roofs are quite common in Australia. The local roof guys use a brand of tennis shoe called a dunlop volley. I have used them and they grip well.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I have a vibram sole hiking shoes and they were like glue on my old shingle roof , but they like 5 years old now , so maybe not as soft and grippy as new . And when i wash the glass , the roof will wet and slick , at least till sun drys it off. I ll be stuck till that happens. I could do some work from inside , bu I can’t wash the tops or fix the seals . This sucks ...because it was not hard job before . I need like suction cup shoes .

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
Better find an anchor point to tie off to.
I’m studying that angle too. Not much to tie off too , unless I run. Rope down through the sky light , but then I need a 10 foot step ladder at least to reach the screens release , not accessible from outside to feed the rope down . I’m hoping the 22 year old will call me back ....LOL ...he’s not married ....my wife would have a fit if she knew I was on the new roof today .

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
Hey car911, thanks , that’s cool , really cool ... I checked it out . Price is cheaper than a helicopter ride to the local hospital.

That might be the only way I ll feel comfortable on this roof . I worked on scoreboards and some very high places , but none slick or at a angle much during my life . Sliding is a bit unnerving today ...I don’t think they could put Humpty Dumpty back together now .

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Better find an anchor point to tie off to.

Batman%2BWest%2B03.gif