Want imput! LS3 Big Block bbc Chevy block casting # 3969854 date E4 71 2 bolt mark

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by matthamilton, Feb 18, 2013.

1. matthamilton

matthamilton Member

Ok guys I am about to go and but this-
    http://monterey.craigslist.org/pts/3619699525.html

I am not sure if it is worth it.
    I want a big block and when I looked up the casting number he posted it matched a 402 Big Block. Now I have been wanting a big block to build. But I don't want to waste 200 dollars for something that isn't worth buying.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

My question to you is this; Can you buy that bare block and everything else you need to put it together for less than a long block that already has the crank, heads, and other parts?

If your going to build something that is no-where near stock or a really strong big block than it might not matter; however if your going that route than I would build a 4 bolt or 454 block not a 402 (396).

If your just looking for a more mild engine than I would look for a complete long block to start with.

JMO

3. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Get the numbers off the front pad. The vast majority of these LS3's were from Monte Carlos, Chevelles and El-Camino's. If it is from a Camaro, however, it is a rare block and please buy it. If you just want a big block, I'd look for a 454. They are common enough and it would be cheaper than gathering up all the bits you need to build this into a workable engine. Decent 454 long blocks are $500, and lower mile engines are not a lot more. I recently got a '74 454 from a 50K mile Impala for $750 and it is in excellent shape. No measured cylinder wear. Look around, they are out there.