Wanting some help on purchasing new springs...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Buck Heard, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

James @ Moementum suggested I post a topic on this to get a little help. I'm looking at replacing the front coil springs and rear leaf springs on my 72 Rally Sport (350,2bbl w/AC). He stocks TRW front coils and another brand for the leafs. He said that he had sold a bunch to our group but hadn't had any feed back as to if they made the car sit right or not. Advise anyone? I want to stay as original looking as possible. Thanks!

2. 70rat

70rat Veteran Member

I would try eaton detroit springs.They probably made the springs on your car.

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you want the car to sit "stock-"

Wait wait wait. First, let's define stock. I define stock for the front as being roughly 15" from the spindle center to the wheel lip. This takes tire size out of the equation, so we're all speaking the same language. Perhaps you have a different idea of what "stock" is.

Knowing that, with a full weight 350 with AC on a 72 (which means lighter bumper structure), I'd probably go with a 6450 to get around 15". It -might- be a little higher than that. The 5642 would likely be a little low (14.5" or so).

Both of these springs are slightly higher than normal rate for a 72, BUT I think you'll find the ride to be more pleasing with these, to be honest. It's not bone jarring, by any means, it just gets rid of a bit of that "love boat" feel to the front.

For a slightly lower rate, you could try the 6486, which should also get you right around 15".

Those numbers are all TRW/Moog spring P/Ns, BTW.

For rear springs- who knows, I only play with the fiberglass springs. I'd look for a 125#/in rate, and perhaps the manufacturer can give you arch figures to try and help you hit correct ride height. I'd shoot for the same 15", or perhaps 1/4" higher, to give it a tiny, tiny rake. Too much rake places too much demand on the front tires on the street.

Todd

4. BluEyes

BluEyes Veteran Member

Hey, where do you find out al that info on Moog/TRW springs? Is there an online database somewhere?