Was a 350. Now a 383 build. Will my Edelbrock E Street heads cut it?

Danz66ss

Jul 7, 2020
My AED 850cfm carb that I had spec'd out and built by them for my 427sbc has annular boosters . The throttle response is awesome and works very well on my 427sbc

View attachment 105436 View attachment 105437
20201006_205519.jpg

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I have brought up my upcoming 383 build a couple times, but I really trust the smarts of the folks that are on this site and the time you take to help out! The original build was going to be a decent, 350 rebuild which switched up to a 383. I bought my 350 pieces with a fun street rod in mind. So, here is the list, prior to the dream 383.(1) Edelbrock polished Performer RPM manifold. (2) Comp Cams flat tappet hydraulic Magnum 280H. (3) Moon finned valve covers (4) DUI Crossfire dist. (5) Quick Fuel SS 650 carb. (6) Edelbrock 5089 E Street 185/64cc heads. (7) Hays Twister 3/4 Race torque converter thru my fresh 30 spline 700R4. Now the 383 stroker becomes the new plan and I needed to make some adjustments before the actual build which will be in a few weeks. First change was the 650 to a Quick Fuel SS 750 with annular boosters. Second change I swapped the Comp Cams Magnum 280H to a Magnum 286H. I did this due to the added cubic inches to get what I wanted out of the cam. Not wanting to get involved with why I went with a single pattern...I happen to like the grind. Thirdly...my choice of heads. As mentioned, I bought these for my 350 build. It has been posted on this very website that the SBC E Street heads did not disappoint and were surprising good. My builder seems to think they will be fine and will tweek them to flow a bit better. Compression is done thru Speed-Pro hypereutectic pistons apx. 10.5 -1. OR...Shall I shell out the additional $700 and get a set of AFR 180/65cc heads that flow better out of the box, with the 8064 flat tappet spring exchange. I wish to stay with my flat tappet lifters and cam...not building a race car. A fun street and weekend cruiser. Would be nice to keep that build $$$ down. If I stick with the E Streets, it should be a pretty decent motor I think.

If I can run in the high 10's with factory Vortec heads I am sure your E-Street heads will work fine. One thing I would change are the hyper pistons out for forged pistons as if you run the 383 to lean or get into detonation that may be the end of those pistons.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Good point by 1980RS, save on the heads, put the extra $$ in a 4032 forged piston upgrade. With approx. 10.5 CR, and a bad batch of gas, those 4032's will save you money in the long run. Been there with a customer that got a 383 built by someone, wanted to save a few 100 bucks and used Hyperpathetic pistons, after the 2nd piston change, enough was enough....went 4032 forged, and has had no issue since...been years now.

19806.0Berlinetta

Dec 21, 2018
I have a set of these heads and am planning on running them on a TPI 383. From everything I've researched it should be a very torquey street motor. If you've had them ported / massaged, they may be close to the flow rate of the AFRs???

Aml383

Veteran Member
Oct 27, 2021
I have brought up my upcoming 383 build a couple times, but I really trust the smarts of the folks that are on this site and the time you take to help out! The original build was going to be a decent, 350 rebuild which switched up to a 383. I bought my 350 pieces with a fun street rod in mind. So, here is the list, prior to the dream 383.(1) Edelbrock polished Performer RPM manifold. (2) Comp Cams flat tappet hydraulic Magnum 280H. (3) Moon finned valve covers (4) DUI Crossfire dist. (5) Quick Fuel SS 650 carb. (6) Edelbrock 5089 E Street 185/64cc heads. (7) Hays Twister 3/4 Race torque converter thru my fresh 30 spline 700R4. Now the 383 stroker becomes the new plan and I needed to make some adjustments before the actual build which will be in a few weeks. First change was the 650 to a Quick Fuel SS 750 with annular boosters. Second change I swapped the Comp Cams Magnum 280H to a Magnum 286H. I did this due to the added cubic inches to get what I wanted out of the cam. Not wanting to get involved with why I went with a single pattern...I happen to like the grind. Thirdly...my choice of heads. As mentioned, I bought these for my 350 build. It has been posted on this very website that the SBC E Street heads did not disappoint and were surprising good. My builder seems to think they will be fine and will tweek them to flow a bit better. Compression is done thru Speed-Pro hypereutectic pistons apx. 10.5 -1. OR...Shall I shell out the additional $700 and get a set of AFR 180/65cc heads that flow better out of the box, with the 8064 flat tappet spring exchange. I wish to stay with my flat tappet lifters and cam...not building a race car. A fun street and weekend cruiser. Would be nice to keep that build $$$ down. If I stick with the E Streets, it should be a pretty decent motor I think.
It would be a real good motor with the heads that you've got .
Little bit smaller runners but not too small just makes for more velocity and hence low torque.
Run an air gap intake and use the carb and cam you already have and that'll be a nice street motor.

Latest posts