Washer system mounting

Spanky McWeasel

Feb 23, 2021
Howdy, font of all knowledge!

Does anyone have pics of the washer jet mounting on the underside of the hood, please? What fasteners are used?

Same goes for the washer bottle; how's it mounted and with what?

This is a base model '71.

Many thanks in advance.

Budz

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 17, 2002
Ashburn, Va USA
Does anyone have pics of the washer jet mounting on the underside of the hood, please? What fasteners are used?
RE:NOZZLE'S

Do you have your "Nozzle's" ? If so, I'd like to see the shape of the "Driver side". Mine has a severe bend in it which doesn't look like the assembly manual drawing, but the hose was attached to it this way when I removed these from the car many years ago, and the assembly manual's sometimes have missing content and flaws in them. For example regarding the washer "Jar", the manual doesn't show the bracket the jar is attached to. I'll post separately what I can about the jar mount.....

I assume you don't have the Nozzles since you're asking this question, but if you do...post a pic, thanks.

The "fastener" is part of the Nozzle...not a separate piece, and a single "screw" attaches it to the hood. The pics below are from my 1971 Assembly manual, as well as the Nozzles from my April '71 RS. (painted Silver simply to keep them from rusting after I cleaned them)

The Nozzle is #7

1.JPG

4 Pass Side.JPG

IMG_9089.JPG

IMG_9090.JPG

IMG_9091.JPG

IMG_9101.JPG

This is my April 1970 Z/28...the screws are slightly different.
IMG_9056.JPG

Budz

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 17, 2002
Ashburn, Va USA
Same goes for the washer bottle; how's it mounted and with what?

This is a base model '71.
The assembly manual shows the bottle being directly attached to the driver side "Skirt" (or inner fender) with two screws, but the drawing is dated early and I'm pretty sure the bottle actually attaches to a bracket, which attaches to the inner fender.

I can't find my bracket, but did find the screw bags.......the screws are the same for the bracket as well as the bottle on mine. Hopefully someone with a completed '71 will chime in with more pics.....

The bottle / "Jar" is # 3 and is shown at the inner fender / "Skirt" , as well as VIEW B below
1.JPG

Jar mount does not show mounting Bracket.JPG

IMG_9103.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
The 70 mounted directly to the drivers side fender but in 71 they added the EEC carbon filter and moved the washer jar to the driver side inner fender. It doesn't have a bracket it just mounts to the inner fender with fasteners.

Last edited:

Spanky McWeasel

Feb 23, 2021
Guys, I *knew* I could count on this great collection of people to help me out!
RE:NOZZLE'S

Do you have your "Nozzle's" ? If so, I'd like to see the shape of the "Driver side". Mine has a severe bend in it which doesn't look like the assembly manual drawing, but the hose was attached to it this way when I removed these from the car many years ago, and the assembly manual's sometimes have missing content and flaws in them.

View attachment 141085
Budz, that's awesome -- you really went the extra mile on that reply, especially with the assembly diagrams; filled in so many blanks for me!
My car came without nozzles at all, so I sourced some OER-made parts from (iirc) Classic Industries at the same time I got a bunch of other parts including a repro washer bottle and (hopefully) enough hose. The nozzles came as a pair and look like the l/h one in your photo:

Of course, silly me didn't think about the screws, so I got nothing to fix them with. I'm in Europe so finding SAE fittings and fasteners is a bit of a challenge, so I just now ordered a kit from the States including (hopefully) the right screws for the washer jets, the fixing hardware for the washer bottle.

The 70 mounted directly to the drivers side fender but in 71 they added the EEC carbon filter and moved the washer jar to the driver side inner fender. It doesn't have a bracket it just mounts to the inner fender with fasteners.
Interesting, thank you.
Nozzles on my 70:
Perfect! Routing pic is so helpful, thanks!

My 71 Z,, built in January of 71 has a bracket as shown below.
That's great, thanks a bunch!

Again, thanks to you wonderful people another step closer to getting this baby back on the road.

Cheers,
Rik

Spanky McWeasel

Feb 23, 2021
Curious. You mentioned you are in Europe. Do the locals have an inspection for this or do you want it working just to have it working?
It's mandatory in EU (European Union) countries to comply with the vehicle safety laws. Where I live (Malta) it's called the VRT (Vehicle Roadworthiness Test) and it's based (like so many things) on the British MoT (Ministry of Transport*) test.

No VRT = no issue of license for the vehicle, which in turn means it can't be insured (also mandatory), which means you can't use it on public roads.

Before anyone turns this political, it's a good system and helps to keep some of the deathtraps off the roads. Of course, some get by...

Cheers,
Rik

*The Ministry of Transport hasn't existed for a great many years, having evolved into the Department of Transport, but pretty much everyone in the UK knows it as an "MOT test", so they continued with the moniker.

Latest posts