Washing car water or not

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Duanesmith, Apr 23, 2021.

1. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I am also going to stop in The local paint supplier because they are very knowledgeable and will have good input. One of the guy that works there does paint work on classic cars also.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you are just dealing with dust/pollen, the waterless (or shall I say light water) car washes work great. Don't waste your money on fancy stuff in a spray bottle. Optimum No rise works great for ~ $7/bottle. https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine1.

IF you're dealing with mud etc... than a good old wash is the way to go

3. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wasn't originally open to using waterless wash. However, I considered the fact that my car does not get that dirty. It does a fine job and saves me time.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

We use a spray cleaner on all our old cars. For our daily drivers we have passes to go through the Mister Car Wash. Pay monthly for unlimited washes.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I will not use water on an old vehicle, especially if it's prone to rust. (like all of them). If using water to wash an old car is something you feel strongly about, take it for a long ride after washing to blow it out good. At least give it a fighting chance, don't shove it back in a garage or just let it sit. If you do and listen real hard, you could probably hear it rusting. It's worse here in the rust belt, but corrosion happens just about anywhere.

Smokey15, Camarokiddave, RS79 and 4 others like this.
  6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have never washed a high quality show car but then again I don't let mine get dirty either, just some dust. High end restorations & show cars generally don't get washed. Trying to wipe out all the water from cracks, corners and seams takes forever! Not to mention surface rust developing between seams you can't get at.

I've always dusted mine off lightly with a California duster. If there are some rather dirty spots I'll wipe it down with a wet & soapy microfiber towel. Then use a spray/wax to dampen & wipe it down with high quality micro fiber towels.

There is constantly new stuff coming on the market so it gets hard to keep up.

KingofThings, Bills69 and Dave Nelson like this.
  7. Buddy70z28

Buddy70z28 New Member

I've had 4 high end show cars and all of them get a good bath with a siliconized car wash and plenty of water. You can't get the bugs and road grime off without washing your car plus it makes the chrome shine that much brighter! I drive all of my cars to the shows because I don't believe in trailer queens and I don't own a trailer. If you are scared to wash it then you must be terrified to drive it anywhere! Just my thoughts.

KingofThings and Postmech like this.
  8. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Veteran Member

I was reading this thread, thinking to myself "what have I been doing to my poor Camaro these past 14 years???"

Then I realized, "oh yea, it's a car!" You gotta drive 'em, and that gets 'em dirty. If they just sit there, they're not much fun anyway.

KingofThings, Postmech and 2ndOwner78 like this.
  9. Allen B

Allen B New Member

This car is a two owner (1st owner was a personal friend since the car was new). Except the hood obviously, it is the original paint, and remains presentable after 40 years and about 85,000 miles.

I wash with water if it is really dirty like driven in the rain or hit some unexpected road debris like tar or mud. The rest of the time I use Adams brand spray detail (pink spray) and a really thick microfiber towel (double thick gray).

Keys to not scratching your car when using a waterless wash are:
    1) keep a solid base of wax or ceramic coating on the car
    2) use a clean thick microfiber and keep turning to a clean portion of the microfiber and
    3) if there is mud or tar on it get the soap and water out.

This is not an Adams brand advertisement but I have never been one to splurge on car cleaning products until I tried theirs. The stuff just works, as advertised or better.

Their ceramic coating will keep you car from getting dirty. It is a PITA to properly prep the car and apply but lasts for years, they say 5-10 depending on which ceramic product you choose and frequency of wash the red car below is a year in and looks as good as the day I did it.

Best of luck and happy motoring!

Attached Files:

newtodu06 and KingofThings like this.
  10. Postmech

Postmech Member

Each to his own way of thinking. I bought my 78 Camaro to drive and have always washed ( with car wash soap and water) and waxed it regularly. Had it repainted in1993. Its not a show car and never will be as long as I own it. I get compliments on how good it looks. Its about a 5 footer.(looks perfect from 5 feet away) Now if I could just keep the rubber from building up on the rear Quarters.:)