Weld in Sub Frame Connectors Weld in Cage ???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CamarosRus, Nov 4, 2013.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Interested to READ your reply on ...............

1) Does DSE have the best design, but most expensive weld in sub frame
    connector ? I'm capable of going from scratch, but interested to learn
    what alternative choices are "store bought"

2) Do any of the fabricators make a "custom fit" weld in cage, including
    front sub frame tie-ins ? I have not asked DSE if they will/can sell their
    set up for someone else to weld ??...........
    OR should I have a local fabricator try to copy the DSE set up as best
    they can. I'm not clear, on how those firewall "donuts" connect front
    to rear ???

Thanks

2. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Hello Chuck, you are better off having a chassis shop bend a roll bar for you, the DSE roll bar is nothing special in fact it is not even made of the correct material size, now their weld in frame connectors are nice but you must cut the floor, if you don't want to cut the floor of your car our connectors are the best you can get and are very affordable, I think the "donuts" you refer to are just a way to mount a tube in the engine compartment, our G-braces would do much the same thing without all the work and expense, but if you want bars that go through the fire wall those should be made to fit your car so they should be made by the chassis shop that builds your roll bar, well in this case it would be a roll cage.

3. Dave Imrie

Dave Imrie Veteran Member

I have DSE frame connectors and they are made out of 2x3 tubing and easy to copy. Too expensive to keep buying for other cars that need them. DSE products are way over priced.

4. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

5. david.carlton@s

[email protected] Veteran Member

I installed the DSE rear roll bar about three years ago. At the time, they wouldn't sell the entire roll cage including the down bars due to potential fitment issues (unless they did the install). I was very pleased with the rear roll bar installation.

I also purchased and then sold DSE frame connectors after deciding not to cut the floor pan. I'm using the Global West weld in connectors. I'm satisfied. Great for jacking up the car. With the DSE connectors, I was worried (right or wrong) about more welding, more seams, and the potential for creating places for corrosion (my body / chassis was a rather rust free CA car and I wasn't in the position to properly coat the underbody).

I wasn't aware of PTFB at the time. I'd like to take a look at their G braces. I ordered Hotchkis braces from Summit and had to send them back. They wouldn't fit. I had interferences on both sides (AC Delete and Dual Booster Master Cylinder).

I might design my own braces or down bars at some point if I can't find production units to fit. Appreciate the link to the mounts.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Chassisworks

Chassisworks Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor

There are a lot of different ways to anchor tubing in the engine compartment. We started offering our 'Gemini' connector recently as a seperate part. That's what we call the connector at the base of our Firewall Support Bars. (pics below) I have

We have two styles of subframe connector. 1- The old school, tried and true, low cost, weld-in style. 2- The bolt-in g-Connector system which has mandrel bent tubes, black powder coat finish, and integrates with our center support and driveshaft loop. The nice thing about option 2 is you can unbolt the front suspension if you have to and there is no floor modification.

We also have been selling quite a few of our new Exact-Fit roll bars and cages for the first gen. The second gen is in the works and should be available early next year. It's available in multiple materials and tucks up really tight to the inside of the car. The rear bars are bent so they give good rear view. Options for where they land include the stock rail, our rear rail, or the DSE Quadralink shock crossmember.

Details about all this stuff is here: http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-253-chassis-stiffening-braces-connectors.aspx

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. uncivilized

uncivilized Member

PTFB subframe connectors are great

8. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We fab several roll cages and roll bars a year. Usually I talk customers out of roll cages for cars that don't see A LOT of track time. Street cars with cages are a pain, I know I have an 8 point cage in my car for the past 15 years.

I would suggest having a REPUTABLE shop custom fab a roll bar or cage to fit you, your interior, and your needs.

Subframe connectors, well there are a lot out there, many are good, a few are horrible. The DSE ones are very involved, and if you are going to take it that far I would suggest making your own that weld to the floor. With that being said, for $175 we and others sell some connectors that fit well, and are easily installed. I recommend welding them in place

For disconnects, we used ones like the Chassis Works, that inter lock on our custom front down bar cradle. At the fire wall we made 3/16" plates that bolt to nutserts in the fire wall, and has a 90* bent at the top and through bolts through the top of the cowl/firewall lip. The cradle is removable for engine removal. We also incorporated a brace that mounts between our dual mastercylinder set up to brace the firewall under braking. We added adjustable struts down to the upper control arm mount to stiffen the front even more. I think there are some pics on the Custom Works Camaro re-birth thread in the build section