Welding Helmet Recommendations

72'z'steve

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2000
waukesha wi usa
The Hobart at TS is great,they are clearing them out at mine,big window camo auto tint are 29.99 [bought two, 1 for work,one for home] tossed the harbor garbage blue with flames that SOMETIMES worked.They had the small window models for 19.99 I'm guessing they won't last long-Later Steve!!

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I bought this one from my local welding supply store. Paid more than this, unfortunately. It is a great helmet with a big window and is not that bulky for when you have to stick your head into smaller spaces. Has grinding modes and multiple shading and reaction rates.
https://www.amazon.com/Weldcote-Met...ocphy=9030003&hvtargid=pla-568877546360&psc=1
51SrMo8xgXL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

93z

Veteran Member
Dec 12, 2018
This is the one I picked up. Works great. I was hesitant to try the auto darkening but it’s so fast I’m sold on it for good now. Plus the grinding mode is a good bonus feature.
D9442AFC-B88E-4F5F-A525-2F5297923172.jpeg

72'z'steve

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2000
waukesha wi usa
Jeff that is the one,what was weird they are not clearing out the all the hobart line,and the tag said its original price was 89.99 not 69.99??? usually they clear stuff out when they change lines so I don't know if they have newer models?.We have 3 TS within reasonable driving distance and all are different on their clearance.Last year I bought [2] 10x12 portable round top sheds for $80 each at mine,they were $260 at the other 2 stores as a buddy wanted one.
I really like the big window model,I had a small window at work [they provided] and it sure makes a difference for fab,on machine repair! Later Steve!!

procharged81

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2011
NE PA
+1 for the 3M Speedglas

not overly expensive, but every piece is replaceable if the time were to come. Headgear, glass, sweatband, even the viewing area and sensors.

Mr. Morgan

Jun 6, 2019
So my cheap horrible freight auto helmet must be done, it does not get dark fast enough when you strike an arc so I had to close my eyes for a second the other day on a quick project.

So looking for a new one thats good , well better than HF but not break the bank account. I saw an old thread from 2011 on this but guessing there are maybe newer options out by now. Lmk what you guys are using and like or dislike.
This thread has plenty of great recommendations for standard auto darkening helmets. But I went a different route a long time ago. A picked up the Miller auto darkening mask.
Weld-Mask Auto-Darkening Goggles LF 267370.jpg
now here me out. Yes its a bit goofy. But there are a lot of advantages. Never have to worry about stuff getting in your eye. Never again worry about light coming behind and causing a glare. Great for grinding. Is much more clear than other helmets.

The most important reason I say think about this. Is because we all work on cars. I had weld on an exhaust system. And frame while the car was only on jacks. With a normal helmet there is no room. They are way too big and bulky. I've had this helmet for about 3 years now. And its my only one. I use it all the time. And It has taken a beating.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
What did you pay for yours if you don’t mind sharing?
This thread has plenty of great recommendations for standard auto darkening helmets. But I went a different route a long time ago. A picked up the Miller auto darkening mask.
View attachment 107025 now here me out. Yes its a bit goofy. But there are a lot of advantages. Never have to worry about stuff getting in your eye. Never again worry about light coming behind and causing a glare. Great for grinding. Is much more clear than other helmets.

The most important reason I say think about this. Is because we all work on cars. I had weld on an exhaust system. And frame while the car was only on jacks. With a normal helmet there is no room. They are way too big and bulky. I've had this helmet for about 3 years now. And its my only one. I use it all the time. And It has taken a beating.

Latest posts