Welding Sheet Metal Help


Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Finally the time has come to fix my Camaros inner fender, but going to outsource it being done by a pro. What should I be asking for as to what type is welding? It’s decent thickness sheetmetal, but of course sheet metal.
Any advice, thanks.


Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Either MIG (with gas shield) or TIG. TIG IMO has better control of heat so maybe less chance of warpage, but it will take longer. A really good TIG guy could do it without needing hardly any filler once done.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Kind of a tough call. A body shop will typically have a mig welder and I would think they would use .23 wire.
A welding shop will have both mig and tig.
Either way a good shop should be able to get the job done.


Sep 5, 2011
a good body shop has no trouble with MiG. Space out the welds. Go back fill in.just got to use the right gas.Not co2 for good body work.


Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hurley, VA
I would stress the sheet metal part. The company I work for has several certified welders but all they’ve ever welded is 1/4” plate and thicker big difference than sheet metal. Exhaust and body shops usually have your best thin metal welders. A body shop would be more likely to understand warpage.


Veteran Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Zealand
The two main things to ask for are a full length butt weld, and a repair that will only need a skim of filler. The highest quality/spec sheetmetal repair is a 'file finish' but expect to pay a lot more if you find someone able to do this, and personally I think it's overkill unless you're doing a concourse style resto.

TIG, MIG and Oxy Acetylene are all fine as long as the person using them knows what they're doing, but if anyone tries to talk you into a flanged or stitch welded repair keep looking.

Certified welders are generally focused on integrity of the weld and used to working with thicker steel or non-ferrous metals depending on their cert and chosen field. Better to look for a sheetmetal worker, preferably from a resto or custom shop capable of shaping sheetmetal and correcting distortion/warpage.


Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2018
A good body shop should have no trouble mig welding that for you. Thats where i would start, of course as the son of a retired auto body shop owner not all body shops are the same so ymmv…


Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Might want to go so far as to call a local tool-machine shop for a welding reference. Those guys weld to micron level tolerance (laser weld if required), not that you need this but they can do it. These guys aren't cheap (~150-200 per hour) but if you want the best that's where to go.