Welding Sheet Metal Help

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Fender Repair is in work, we will see how it turns out.

IMG_9024.jpg

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Just my .02 but I think I would weld it from the under side. The reason I say that is because of the recessed area up on the left side of the patch. If you weld from the top side getting in to grind the weld smooth could be a bit of pain.
If you decide not to weld it yourself I would mark and then cut the patch about 1/4" to 3/8" wide on all three sides and let the welder of your choice trim it to fit. Any good body shop should be able to weld it in.
In regards to the body filler a friend of mine owns a body shop and he would suggest using fiber glass filler (kitty hair) as your first layer since its more water proof compared to regular filler. I would body work it from both sides. The patch should be invisible.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I appreciate that. The body guy that is going to do the work for me is likely going to make the cut larger to ensure all the bends are not affected.

Hope!

70_Only_InFender2.jpg

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
Good idea I wouldn't weld it inside the dimple area and I'd go around the hole. Much easier to weld and much easier to work without dealing with the dimple. Properly done it shouldn't take any or very little filler, especially since both sides are easily accessible. Actually if you are going to spray some sort of undercoating inside I would just epoxy over the weld, paint and spray the goo without any final bodywork.

ErikNORCAL

Veteran Member
Aug 6, 2003
now in VA
Seen you mention it before that there is a difference. Now I’m curious to see what my 73 has on it. Is driver fenderwell on the gold one in post #65 incorrect for a 70 due to the one less rib?