Welding Tip

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Aug 6, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have playing with the flux core welder, don't know how yall do it! I can't see crap when I'm welding. All I see if the bright arc...also I have it on the lowest setting and I'm still burning holes in sheet metal. The lens on the helmet isn't even clear...its somewhat blurry.

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You NEED Shielding gas. Flux core is not really going to help you, or let you learn to make nice welds.

Revin, Zstar and gramps like this.
  3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

That flux core works ok on thicker stuff, say 11ga or 1/8in. Seeing on lower settings like for sheet metal is tough for me too. I have to set the lens to pretty dark anyway and there's not much light there. Best for thin stuff is the small wire 024. Hard to run a bead, I just try to tack or stitch it. Gas is much better but still tough on the thin stuff. Several Youtube videos that are really good on this too.

Zstar likes this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Try "pushing" your bead instead of pulling, in case you are doing that. For me anyways, it keeps the heat consistent and I dont burn through thin stuff like that.

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

You also need a bright light to help light up the area you are welding. I know it sounds weird what with weld arc and all but a couple bright LED lights do wonders. Put the flux core welder on its lowest setting and slow wire speed and just stitch it and jump around to different spot so you don't get one spot too hot. You can also back up where you are welding with a copper pipe smashed flat since it won't stick to the copper.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

If you are burning holes you need to lower the amp and speed up the spool and shorten the time with the trigger pulled.

7. badazz81z28

Something is now going on with the ability to weld. I assume its a grounding issue...its doesn't crackle, it basically pops and stops welding. The stick out ends up glowing red and nothing sticks. The grounding prong is right there...so I don't know what the issue could be....off to google.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Maybe it stops feeding? If there is a kink in the wire or the tip has some slag in it, the wire will feed intermittently and really piss u off. You can clean the tip or pop a new one in, you can also increase the tension on the roller that feeds the wire.

9. badazz81z28

It is surly annoying the heck of meā€¦once I figure it out, I need to go back over these half azz welds

Attached Files:

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They SUK....probably burning up the wire too quickly. Then looses arc. Great for welding on a dump truck during a hurricane.....but nothing else