Welding Tip

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Aug 6, 2021.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Is your polarity right? Different for gas and flux. I saw a hint to get a piece of thick stranded copper wire, bare, put it between your grounding clamp and the metal you're welding, more surface area for a better connection.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Probably a bunch of little things all adding up against you. If you have the option, use solid wire with gas, make sure polarity is right, whip is in good shape and passing wire smoothly, new tip with correct size for wire, clean ground, clean material. Gas works great as long as u are in out of the wind. Open up the side of the welder where the wire spool goes, u may find a chart there for polarity, wire size, metal guage, wire feed speed etc.

3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

anyone who says you NEED shielding gas does NOT know how to weld

PRACTICE is key as well as very very clean metal

find a bunch of scrap metal & play with different amp setting/wire speeds etc

the welds on that seat frame will never be seen so as long as they are strong enough it doesn't matter what they look like

and anyone who says a good welder doesn't grind their welds is wrong too...if you need to grind off a lump & hit it again it's fine

4. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Also check the small roller wheel that pushes the wire. Mine got out of adjustment and the wire wasn't in the groove correctly so it was an intermittent push on the wire. Also make sure the wire is the correct diameter for the roller. Too small of wire and the roller won't push it.

biker likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm not sure what's going on, but its pissing me off!!! I can get a nice spot weld with a sizzle about 1 out of 6-8 trigger pulls. I just whipped out a piece of steel and held the trigger down and it will weld...but the short spot welds won't work!

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

That's weird. Does sound like a ground/ cleanliness issue.
    When it doesnt spot weld nicely, does it continue to push wire out with no welding activity? Or does it stop pushing wire out.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

It basically pops like I don't have a good ground, the whole wire turns bright red. But the metal is clean and I even put the ground very close to the weld spot. Its hit and miss without even messing with the ground.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Without being there, I can only think it isn't feeding the wire consistently.

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

or I wonder if the shielding is preventing the wire from making the arc???
    Kinda like stick welding where you gotta smack the end of the rod to chip off some of the flux so you can get a good scratch start??

10. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I had this happened on my welder after replacing the wire spool, turns out that the other end of the new wire spool wasn't tucked in properly and is sticking out a bit too much and every now and then would make contact on the housing.