well I resigned from my "real" job and now focusing on the parts business!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 351maverick, Apr 8, 2016.

1. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great job!! I don't blame you at all for leaving..

If you can make a living doing what you love and be at home, you'd be stupid not to..

2. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Good luck to ya. I sell a lot on eBay and it easily pays more than I can make in my body shop. The only trouble is...well ..it's illegal to part out cars without a dismantlers license here in CT. The DMV will shut me down and pull my dealers license if I get too big. There is no getting a dismantlers license either. The environmental BS alone would stop the whole process and the insurance is through the roof. Aside from that, they have a freeze on new dismantlers licenses here too. Enjoy your new lifestyle, it's no stroll in the park but it beats working for the man.

3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Old car s all,over the world are shaking in their boots

The grim car reeper is now full time on the prowl :D

Fear the Saw !

Good Luck ....may the Saw be with you.

4. cadmanmeg

cadmanmeg Veteran Member

Good luck with that. Hope it holds strong for you.

5. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

When you factor in your time custom made boxes are actually great ! I pay around $5 a box which is peanuts considering messing around with old boxes can easily take you more than $5 of your time.

6. clill

clill Veteran Member

Uline.com has a gazillion boxes in all shapes and sizes for cheap compared to anywhere local.

7. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

company I left ordered from Uline every week - GREAT place for shipping supplies!

although my goal is to never spend a nickel for a box

8. TwinnEngines

TwinnEngines Veteran Member

I declined a commission bc of travel....my kids are more important than being some a-hole butter bar...

Good luck on your business

9. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First off, good luck on the parts business. Ive gotten kind of lazy with my Ebay stuff since the beginning of the year, I need to get back into it. Im hoping to sell my house this summer, so I need to get rid of everything.

The Ebay Global Shipping Program is a huge waste. You arent required to use it, and it takes FOREVER, and you have someone going through every part you sell, repacking it, and relabeling it.

Dont use it. Ebay will print an international label for you automatically just like they do a domestic one. All you have to do is sign the customs form. It takes the same amount of effort as a domestic label, other than you have to sign it.

That being said, when it comes to parts, you have to be really careful on what can/cant go international due to size, and they dont screw around with that. If your parts are oversize, tey will generally disappear somewhere, the post office will pick them up and route them.

Also, I will only ship to countries that have verified USPS tracking. A lot of foreign countries(Mexico is one of them) dont have a federal postal system like we do, they contract everything. There is no tracking, and it can go through multiple different companies to get to the address, if it ever gets there.

10. Ryan 79

Ryan 79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And for boxes, I get most of my big ones from work(I get all my bubble wrap from work), I get the free USPS boxes, but I have been doing mostly Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning cars since the beginning of the year. The vast majority of my stuff goes out in old cereal, Pop Tarts, and Fruities boxes. They weigh nothing, which means you can keep your shipping down to First Class prices(First Class now goes up to a pound), and I have never once had anyone complain about damage in them. Most commercial boxes you will buy are too heavy to ship anything First Class, the box weight alone is too heavy.

Reused Amazon boxes ship out a lot of my stuff too.