Well, now I'm officially a cancer survivor...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Dec 16, 2019.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I'd been feeling drained and dropping weight for some time. Just didn't have the energy to do much of anything I didn't absolutely have to. I started having a hard time breathing which finally motivated me to get checked out. Testing revealed a low red cell count due to blood loss. Two transfusions and a major surgery later, I'm hopefully on the road to a speedy recovery. There isn't any cancer showing up anywhere else, so I think I got lucky. I probably could not have waited much longer, though. Two of the the four tumors they removed were massive, as large as a canteloupe and a grapefruit, respectively, and totalling about 25 lbs. Total removal of my colon and an ileostomy was my only real option. I have gone from 240 lbs to 155 lbs. Can't say I'll miss the extra weight but the weight loss program is no fun. Now I'm looking at approximately a three month recovery time. If I have to be down, winter is the time to do it. Hopefully, this spring, I'll be back on my feet and be able to hit the ground running. I would like to pass along this advice. If you even suspect that something might be wrong with your health, don't procrastinate like I did, and go get it checked out.

71RSLS, Smokey15, VIZ28 and 4 others like this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wanna like that post, but I only like the road to recover part. I'll pray for a speedy recovery.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Congrats on your recovery. Sounds like it will work out for the best. I agree about getting to the Dr. as soon as you suspect something is wrong. I found out a few months ago I have prostate cancer. It started out I was peeing blood. Only once. Didn't think much of it. About 4 months later happened again. Figured I better get it checked out. Went for a biopsy last Thursday. Will get results tomorrow. They also want to do a colonoscopy as I am having trouble there too.

Smokey15 likes this.
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wishing the best for you.

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

My father was diagnosed with cancer when I was about 9. Massive throat cancer. He lost all but 1/2 of one vocal chord. He survived it and lived another 35 years. It was coming back but other health issues stopped him before it could do anything. Research has progressed so much, you may never see it again.

6. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wish you luck on recovery

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Glad you're on the road to recovery!

8. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Damn Britt, not a good year for you. I wish you the best and a quick recovery. Let's hope next year goes better for you.

Guess now you can catch up on all the stuff that's happening on the Nastyz28 :)

9. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Glad you caught it before it was to late, hopefully you will be back to parting out cars by spring.

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Thanks for all the get well wishes. I'm hoping to hit the ground running as soon as I am physically able. The sooner the better, but I can't take any chances with the surgery I had. Pulling something loose would be really bad. I get to endure a round of chemo, as well, which I have heard is no fun at all. I hope to start dragging in more parts cars as early as late February. The last 70 is still in the shop and there is an 80 Z in front of my house. I still need more work space and another real truck asap. The mini van is ok but won't handle the heavy stuff. Just have to see how it goes...