Well, now I'm officially a cancer survivor...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Dec 16, 2019.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

My Dad went through The process. He lived many years past the Cancer surgery. Did not seem to slow him down. I'm glad you are on the road to recovery. My Dad was quite the jokester. I would see him head outside and would ask what are you doing. He would say I have to step outside to Fart! I was like How? Your Butt hole is not connected. He said you don't want me to do it inside! Trust me!... he had to release the gas build up in the bag. Otherwise you would never know he had the bag.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I wish you a speedy recovery, Doc. Sorry to hear about all that you've gone through. I hope we can meet up again real soon at a swap meet. It was great learning from you!

3. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

It sounds like they caught it before it spread. With colon cancer if it does not spread, you can live without a colon. Having an ileostomy is not so bad. You just need to drink plenty of fluids, and chew your food well. The appliances they have now are lightweight and easy. I am in a similar situation but it was related to a disease rather than cancer. PM if you have any questions related to an ileostomy. Good luck

4. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Very happy that caught it. I am a prostate cancer survivor and I tell all my 50 year or older friends to get the testing. They are life savers! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Well, it's been 3 weeks since my surgery and things are going well. I'm recovering at my mom's place for the moment but expect to go back home this weekend. I've already been cleared to drive and do about anything I want except heavy lifting. Stuck with the 15 lb limit for a while, yet. Nice to be able to get up and about again...

xten, 70-camaro and RMTZ28 like this.
  6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I'm due to go in for my picture to be taken. Guess where. Several years ago, one of the guys at work had a polyp go bad and it spread. It scared a bunch of the guys and several had their pictures taken inside. Mostly nothing, but one guy had a polyp that was cancerous on the tip. Had he not been tested.....

Happy_Dan likes this.
  7. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

I try to go in for blood test every 6 months. Psa included, and get my oil checked every five years lol.

Smokey15 and tom3 like this.
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Really need to get a good checkup at age 50, or before if family history is a factor. Some of it isn't fun, but just need to realize that to a doctor you're just another oil and filter change (good analogy RMT.)

70-camaro likes this.
  9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Glad you are on Recovery Road! I hear a lot of people saying that they don't want to get the exam. I don't either but I feel it is a necessary procedure. It's easy and painless and saves lives. The biggest 'pain' is the "prep work".

RMTZ28 likes this.
  10. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Here's wishing you a speedy and trouble free recovery Doc! You sure went in at the right time!!!