Went nuts on oil change placeless today

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1970 gold, Jun 13, 2021.

1. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

So dropped of 09 equinox for a standard oil change, just standard oil only. I go to the pool with wife and call when I at the snack bar tells her 1 tag light and break light out so we want then to replace? She said ok. She tells me I’m like ok.

I ask them to email me the bill, that do and any guess what those bastards tried to charge me?

let’s see who can guess the closest?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm gonna go with an hour of labor at $100 + parts

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Tag light an LED? Have to remove some panels for the brake light maybe. $175.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your standard oil changed probably ran you $60. The bulbs were in probably $10-$15 each and $40 to install?

$125 total

5. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure. I went in for a oil change on Toyota a few years back, Scion tC. I went to the parts counter and ordered an air filter for car, and cabin air filter. I didn't authorize them to install it, literally just purchase it. I get my bill, they charged me 50 to install filter in engine bay, and 50 to install the cabin air filter. I went OFF. I said so? what's up with this? they said we installed them, I said uhm im not paying for that, he said sir we charge by the time, I said it takes half an hour for both the air box filter and half hour for interior cabin filter? she said yes.

I walked over, popped up hood, pulled it out. and popped off my glovebox, pulled it out. literally 1.5minutes.

walked them up to counter, and said yeah, im not paying 100 for someone to do this. The lady looked pissed, I also made them actually refund the filters over what they tried to pull on me, long time customer, the service agent was being sketchy

6. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

Ok 09 so no LEDs. Per autozone tag lights 2 $5. Brake light $6. They wanted $102.00. I’m like no way they dropped the bill to $86.

wiseryder likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

That’s how they get you....many people just don’t know

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who the hell says OK without seeing the estimate?

grzewnicki, dcozzi, Zstar and 5 others like this.
  9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't even guess. All my life I've done my own oil changes so I'm ignorant to what the cost might be to have it done for me. I use oil rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year so I change oil once a year. That oil runs me nearly $10 a quart so that is $50 for oil and another $4 for a filter. With tax, that runs me about $55 a year for a vehicle oil changes. I drive very few miles, so I could likely use cheaper oil and get by for 1/2 that amount, but even expensive oil is cheaper than engines.
    So, maybe $100 isn't bad to have it done for you.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ya, that's a tough one. Having recently worked for a small privately owned shop, it is tough to keep the doors open considering the cost of EVERYthing it takes to run a shop. Lots of places depend on the little jobs that they can charge a 1/2hour labour minimum for. They are catering to the 99% of people who dont know how to do anything with a car and just want the car safe and operational.
    As KD alluded to above, communication is key. Tell them up front what you do/dont want.
    Our demographic is firmly in the dinosaur category when it comes to retail and service industry marketing. The typical 20-30something year old who owns a car out of necessity would not blink at that bill.
    However, there is real gouging going on out there. Gross overcharging, mis--diagnosis and work charged for that just isnt done.