Went nuts on oil change placeless today

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1970 gold, Jun 13, 2021.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I basically agree with what you are saying, but I think your pricing is off.

Good quality synthetic oil is $3.00 per quart (Costco Kirkland synthetic or equivalent) x 6 = $18.00. I personally buy a "fleetpack" of 12 ACDelco oil filters for about $3.25 each (both my daily drivers use the same filter), but you can buy a good quality filter for about $5.00 each (or a Fram Extra Guard filter for $3.98 from Amazon with free prime delivery), so about $21 - 23.00 for an oil change at home.

Fram Extra Guard PH12060, 10K Mile Change Interval Spin-On Oil Filter
    Automotive
    $3.98$3.98

FREE Delivery Fri, Jun 18
    [​IMG]

Retail oil pricing varies around the country - so $60.00 may be accurate where you live. I can get an oil change at my local GM dealer for under $50.00 using ACDelco oil and filter.

I choose to do my oil changes myself (I'm retired - so I have the time). Dealing with the used oil is not a problem. Just save some (washer fluid for instance) gallon jugs to put the waste oil in and drop it off at any place that does oil changes (they are required by law to accept it), or a local NAPA store (they advertise on their website that they take waste oil).

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have a friend of 30+ years that does my oil changes. He drives by my shop to get to his. When my cars and trucks are due for safety inspection, he stops and picks my vehicle up and leaves his. He does my oil changes with the inspection. If they need ZDDP, I leave a bottle in the vehicle and he puts it in. Usually $100-$120 for oil change, inspection, emissions. And I don't have to leave the shop. I usually tip him for pickup and delivery. Sweet deal IMO. I'm a slob with oil changes. Last time I did the Burb, I didn't spill a drop. Not one! then I went to get out from under the truck and the creeper hit the drain pan and sloshed oil all over the floor. Half hour clean up. F*#k that.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Just depends on the car, I always have to pay extra because these standard prices only include 5 quarts. The truck takes a little over 7 quarts forcing me to pay for 3 extra quarts.

4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Shop supplies were charged to every RO back when I was in the business. Customers were constantly asking why

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Agreed. If I knew a shop cared about their work and my car as much as I do and did all the right things, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

75Maro likes this.
  6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I read this thread and called my buddy who runs 3 independent oil change shops. He says your numbers aren't even in the ball park. He says while upselling is a nice icing on the cake, they can absolutely survive without them...doing straight full service (oil, filter, lube and check all vital fluids) oil changes. They're averaging around 10 min per passenger vehicle.

I was in that very industry for about 14 years total...10 of that was in management and I remember what our profit levels were then back then. I checked with him since I've been out of it since 2007 to see what all has changed. Shop costs have gone up, wages have gone up...but so has the cost of service. He says his profit margin has actually risen in the 36 years he's been in it.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

First note, my sample service included a tire rotation.
    A straight oil change is more like 0.20 (12 min) by the labor guides. If they've got an oil extractor an oil pit and, it'll be a bit quicker. But you can't do any meaningful inspection with the oil change in that amount of time.

I oversaw several large-scale car rental oil shops, The one at LAX moved 60-80 cars/day. The technicians were getting paid by the unit, so they worked as fast as they could. I can tell you 100% when you throw in the tire rotation and a decent inspection, you are sitting at ~30 minutes at best.

Could you buddy's shop be paying less for labor... sure. Do I want the guys he can hire for less than $25/hr... nope

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL Brett you ARE way off on labor costs. No way in hell a lube tech gets anywhere close to $25 an hour. That's just silly and out of touch with reality. Figure closer to minimum wage. You're not gong to be pulling the top guy to slam oil, it's given to the lube monkeys not you master technician. Oil changes are almost universally paid at .3 some times the truck guys got .5 but to my knowledge the quick lube guys are rarely paid flat rate, it's usually hourly so the way their production is driven up is with relentless threats of getting fired because the manager has "a dozen guys lined up for your job".

And I'm curious, you have told us in the past, and my experience is Enterprise doesn't have their own shops for service, how did you oversee one of their shops and still work the outside sales for commercial truck rental contracts?

https://www.efleets.com/en/maintenance-partnerships.html
    The link kind of confirms what I said and my experience when I worked for a Firestone with a Enterprise account, the work is all farmed out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    GoldenOne7710 and gramps like this.
  9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Running the shops wasn't while I was working for Enterprise. It was at my previous job, we were working under contract to manage facilities for another rental company.
    The techs were 1099's and doing better than $25/hr flat rate, but were paying all their own taxes with no benefits. Frankly, the warranty claims when cheaper people messed up were so costly it was worth it.
    BUT - that's also in CA which is one of the more expensive spots in the US

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You realize most of my career was in California right? The $25 hour for lube jockey's isn't happening. Are you talking about your time with "Your Mechanic"? That mobile mechanic internet thing that didn't have shops, just private "contractors"? You were on the promotional side of that anyway weren't you? You've been pretty open with your job history here and I sure don't ever remember you working for any on else besides the speed shop (sales), Enterprise (sales) and then a couple of stints with start ups. I'm not tying to be a dick but you "qualify" your opinion in post #27 that you oversaw several large scale shops to somehow try to add validity to what you post. With my 30+ years and experience in at least a dozen different shops it's obvious to me you don't have this experience you're trying to imply, and that's just not cool. That kind of stuff just sticks in my craw.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    GoldenOne7710 likes this.