What about Bazooka bass tubes make them not so good?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by sunkenloot, Mar 10, 2015.

1. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

Is it the loaded sub? The self amped versions being weak? Is it the enclosure itself?

The reason I wonder is because it seems like the tube design would be perfect for me as I plan on removing it from time to time and for times I dont feel like messing with it would be fairly lightweight as far as enclosures go.

Just wondering if I could get one and replace it with a good quality sub, zap it with good clean power and be happy with it?

2. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I don't really have a ton of experience with them, but my dad had two 8" bazookas mounted on the wakeboard tower of our old boat and those things could crank out tunes like crazy, 20 feet behind the boat and you could still hear the music fine, I had one and a sapphire amp in my car for a while and it was okay, it was starting to go so it didn't sound great. I think it's just the unconventional shape and size that makes people steer away from them, they seem to sound pretty good though

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had good luck with them back in the day. Heck I still have one sitting up in my attic that I pulled out of the wifes Blazer back in the early 2000's.
    I blew a few speakers out back then but they were easily replaceable and the internal amp was pretty much bullet proof.

4. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They work fine as long as you aren't expecting window shattering volumes. For tight spaces, quick hook-up, they get the job done.

5. sunkenloot

Hmm, might see if I can find a blown one somewhere. The system I am setting up is fairly odd compared to most.

I don't terribly care much about quality. Volume is what I am after. The t-tops never get put on. I am also building as light as I can and modular. Wouldnt be out of the question to roll out to a race and take it all out for the day.

So far I have 4 6.5" speakers I plan on mounting to a rollbar crossbar using ATV speaker cans. I can quickly pull them in and out. If I dont feel like messing with them the weight wont be much of a concern.

6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

I bought one of the cheap Pyle tubes and it was JUNK but seems like most like the Bazooka powered tubes. Another option is the Infinity Basslink. I have one and it sounds great. Gives alot of bass and is small enough to fit in the area right by the quarter panel in the trunk and can be removed. I got mine on CL for 35.00.
    Check out Amazon Warehouse deals and you can find them for 155.00 shipped.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...8-1&keywords=infinity+basslink&condition=used

7. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

8. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

If you are looking for something compact which might spare you from constantly removing the sub, try a Kicker Hideaway. It is now my go to sub in my muscle cars because I can mount it in the trunk on the back of the rear seat and it hits plenty hard.

Here's a link:

http://www.kicker.com/11HS8

You can shop around and get them cheaper. I generally pay $202 a piece.

9. sunkenloot

That Kicker Hideaway looks like it might be what I am looking for.

10. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

I hope it works out!