What are “2K UP Products”?

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
My paint instructions make no sense to me. What are “2K UP Products”. They apparently have different rules for using it as a top coat filler.

daniel76309

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
Niceville, Florida
I assume you know that 2k means that it is base + catalyst. I am guessing that UP means ultraviolet protection, meaning it is ok to use as a topcoat. As an example the Southern Polyurethanes 2K epoxy is a great product, but they don't (or at least didn't used to) recommend it as a top coat or final finish, because of UV exposure.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Oh yes, the 2K, I wanted to put some context to the “UP”.

The difference is with “UP products” there is a strict 12H flash time vs 30 min for traditional fillers. Im like WTH is UP products

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I assume you know that 2k means that it is base + catalyst. I am guessing that UP means ultraviolet protection, meaning it is ok to use as a topcoat. As an example the Southern Polyurethanes 2K epoxy is a great product, but they don't (or at least didn't used to) recommend it as a top coat or final finish, because of UV exposure.
D5D91443-FF5D-40AC-834B-145F67F376CA.jpeg

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Bring back the Dupont Dulux paint or even Centari. Today's auto paint materials are absurd.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I went ahead and just painted it...sanded it today...yup burned through some areas just like I thought I would....WTH! Now I have to sand these areas with a coarser grit just to lay more epoxy rather than the filler primer getting me closer to paint!

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Bring back the Dupont Dulux paint or even Centari. Today's auto paint materials are absurd.

Oh please no......might as well bring back Lucite and HiTech as well. Glad those days are gone by, just light White Lightning, bronze and lead bars LOL.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
You can still get Duponts stuff from a Axalta dealer. They still use same part numbers in most cases.
Axalta Bought out Duponts refinishing stuff.
https://www.axalta.com/corporate/en_US.html

That is correct, although it's well past the "legal" timeline to sell any paint products that has the "DuPont Oval" on it's label, but it would be considered outdated stock anyway.

Actually, the Axalta name came about only after DuPont sold it to the private - equity firm called The Carlyle Group, then it was renamed and branded with a new name, Axalta.

And, as private equity firms go, they do what they are good at, and they did well at that.

Scott51

Veteran Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Zealand
I went ahead and just painted it...sanded it today...yup burned through some areas just like I thought I would....WTH! Now I have to sand these areas with a coarser grit just to lay more epoxy rather than the filler primer getting me closer to paint!
What grit are you sanding with?
If you've missed the recoat window it should only need a scotchbrite scuff for the next coat or 180G for polyester filler (bondo)

Latest posts