What are bare early double hump heads worth?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Eliminator SS, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

FWIW I have a late set with accessory holes going on my '73 Camaro. I'm using them because they're going on an engine my dad built, and he ported the heads himself... so more of a tribute build on the engine. Sentimental value, nothing more.

Eliminator SS likes this.
  2. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know what's more sad The fact they aren't worth anything so it won't be long and you won't be able to get any even if you needed them. Or the fact that I used to be so in tune with this stuff and didn't know how the value had dropped out of them, kinda hurts the ego a bit. Lol

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

With all the aftermarket heads out there. Those are more for the restoration area of the car market,Maybe check Hemming` Motor news .

4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

TrickFlow makes an aluminum version of the double bump heads now... a little orange engine paint and they'll look just like iron ones.

5. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I snatched up the 67 Z28 heads because they date matched and I felt like they needed to be saved All the others he threw in the back of his truck and hauled to the dump. :(

6. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Almost every set I've seen were milled so many times that getting a manifold to fit is near impossible. Sunk valve seats are a big problem, too. The only ones worth anything are the 2.02 screw-in guide versions. The Fuelie heads were used on just about every engine imaginable back then.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In 2013 when I was looking for 1 186 head, nobody had them.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yup same thing with a lot of people holding on to sheetmetal because they want $2500 for a fender. It’s not going to be too long the aftermarket will have something equal to or better and nobody will want your old stuff.

351maverick likes this.
  9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I Have a set of 461X machined with screw in studs Large valves and a set of Power pack 896 small valves. They are sitting around too. That's for the one of these days thing. Sold my 64 Le Mans, but have a tri-power set up and a 389 block still loafing in the garage. Hope to clear it all out after I finish my Bathroom remodel project.