What are good LINT FREE rags for pre-paint wipe down?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 14, 2014.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am curious what the pros use to wipe down panels before painting. I want to use some wipes that are as lint free as possible (I am not sure there is such a thing as lint FREE), although I know I need to finish with some tack rag regardless of what I use.

It seems like Kimberly Clark WypAll, Tork Advanced 440 and Krew 600 are what I see mentioned as wipes used in pro shops. I also have read people cotton cloth diapers.

I want to take every step (within reason of course) to ensure my paint job is a good and efficient as possible.

Thanks!

2. Rickdef17

Rickdef17 Veteran Member Gold Member

I think they are similar to Cheese cloth.

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's called a tackrag...sticky cheesecloth.

4. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Linen bed sheets or satin under ware, etc. Wipe the care down with them and rubbing alcohol. Then use a tack cloth. You can skip the tackrag if you don't have them.....

5. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

also called tack cloth. Not hard to find.

I use acetone religiously as it washes away the unwanted and dries all by itself!!

6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

I have been using Windex to wipe mine down. It also dries fast and w/no residue. I have done multiple coats of primer, epoxy and slick sand doing this and have had no fish eye or lint issues. I plan on going one step further and wipe down w/tack cloth before actual paint though.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I wouldnt use ANY chemicals other than paint related. Windex might soak into a
    primer and give adhesion problems in the future. Alcohol, paint thinner, or a tack
    cloth. I used the tack cloth on the bumper and fender work and they are great.

Tom

8. 76_TypeLT

I think you guys are misunderstanding my question.

I am not asking about what chemicals to use (I will only be using SPI Wax & Grease remover) and I am not asking about tack rag (I know what that is and that will be the final step before spraying).

I am specifically asking about what RAGS to use. :) I got some of those cloth rags in a bag from Lowes but they leave way too much lint to even consider using before I spray anything.

9. 76_TypeLT

I would only use a quality wax and grease remover product to wipe down surfaces before spraying.

Most companies don't advise using lacquer thinner, acetone, reducers, etc to clean surfaces prior to spraying.

10. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Blue shop rags washed muliple times then dried double amount of times washed, only use the rag a few times then get another one. Used that method many times with little to no fuzz or lint. Though nothing is perfect it works well.