What are most doing with all locks.

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Rickyb1968, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Veteran Member

I have to replace the door, glove and trunk locks because of no key. The only key we had to the ignition has now came up missing on my 71. The steering is not locked so I'm thinking I can just change out the cylinder. If I look in Classic Industries it shows you can get door, trunk and glove box cylinders keyed a like. Then it looks like you can get your ignition by itself.

Or it looks like you can get your Door and Ignition locks the same and Glove box and trunk lock the same.

What is the general consensus. Door and Ignition and Glove and Trunk. Thanks RIck

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd key all togther. Multiple keys = 2x stuff to lose

M1 Master Gunner and Zstar like this.
  3. Rickyb1968

Lowend I don’t see an option to key them all the same. Do you know where I can get them all keyed alike.

4. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

any locksmith

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do it the way GM wanted it One for the ignition, and one for the doors, trunk and glovebox.
    People start messing around with the GM design......and all hell breaks loose. ( Just kidding) no really I'm strange like that.

8pack, [email protected] and Zstar like this.
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Round keys = glove box and trunk. Square = ignition and doors.
    If you lose keys then have the cylinders coded all the same.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

On a 71, I believe the door and ignition was the same.

On the later 2nd gens (not sure what year they changed), the ignition was the square-head key and all the rest were the round-head key.

8. Rickyb1968

That makes since to have them separate back in the day. Give someone the ignition key but keep trunk secure. Now that these cars are collector’s items it doesn’t seem like a big security issue. So I can see where one key for all is convenient. I’m order the doors and ignition together and trunk and glove box.

9. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

as pointed out, before 1974 the keys were:
    Square = ignition and door
    Round = glove box and trunk

I have heard that with this setup, the square key was called the "valet key", as you could give that one key to them, and still have your valuables locked up... or something like that.
    When I got my car in 1995, I didn't know that GM ever used the square key for the door, so when I had door locks made, and the parts guy told me it was a square key, I asked for him to make it a round key to match my trunk key - iirc he used "1974" locks.

10. severum17

severum17 Member

42 year GM parts guy here. I dont recall square keys being anything but ignition. I could be wrong. I have coded more lock cylinders than you can shake the proverbial stick at. Doors trunk and glove box should all be round key. The ignition lock cylinders all came pre coded with a key. Doors and trunk were manually coded by us. A good locksmith should be able to code those cylinders. Its not magic.