What are these trucks worth...?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Jun 3, 2014.

1. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I'd kill for that stepside.:whine:

2. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

+1 for the stepside over fleetside

Around my stomping grounds. Anywhere from 8k-12k with the pictures I am seeing.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+2 for the stepside over fleetside.

This is a classic truck that is going to be used for cruisin, not hauling lumber like a lumberjack.
    Stepside is way cooler but less functional. My favorite was the murdered out West Coast Customs F100 in Expendables.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thats funny, back in the day during the custom truck craze of the '70s short bed step sides were the bomb...only losers wanted a fleet side.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Lol. I say fleet side and you ain't fitting that one cheap either.

6. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

I just got home and got a chance to look at your pictures. That truck is in better shape than I was expecting, and I apologize, I thought it was a fleetside by what I was reading.

By the looks of it, that's a $6500-$7000 truck here in SoCal. If you're able to get a closer inspection of it, look in every nook and cranny for rust, and then offer accordingly.

Flowjoe-
    You are right, back in the mid-late '70s, the stepsides were hot and everybody seemed to want them. When the '73-'87 C-10 craze really took off in the early '80s, everybody suddenly wanted a fleetside, preferably a shortbed. Out here in the West, it has stayed that way, and any stepside newer than a 1960 can be a tough sell. The Chevy/GMC fleetsides after 1959 look so much more integrated and complete with a fleetside bed that matches the body lines of the cab. Chevy came out with the steel fleetside bed in '58 (the Apache), and it was a game changer. They tested the water with the Cameo in '55 (fiberglass bed) and it was cutting edge for it's day. My '55 is a stepside, and to me, it looks right. My '64 and my '83 are fleetsides and I like that look better. To me, after 1959, any stepside bed on a Chevy/GMC truck looks like an afterthought. There are two totally different designs between the shape of the cab and the shape of the bed. The same stepside bed and fenders was used from '55 to '66, and on the '60-'66 trucks, it looks funky and the rear fenders don't match any body line at all on the cab. At least in '67, they changed the rear fenders to better match the '67-'72 cab.

I just never understood why somebody would buy a truck and order a bed that's dimensionally smaller and looks like it doesn't belong. Maybe that's why they don't make 'em with stepsides anymore!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not everyone buys a vehicle.for.the same reasons.

Plenty of low riders I use to question, but its just personal taste.
    Look at the 400hp LS2 Chevy SSR....made no sense to me either, but they sold a few

If we all liked the samething we would have less of a diverse culture....and it would be boring

8. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

True, completely agree.

Funny, my neighbor has a silver SSR, and he LOVES that thing. It's a one-trick pony, if you ask me.

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Because the stepside has steps on the side so you can easily access something near the front of the box.

The fleetside has more overall room, but has the wheelwells disrupting the space.

Both vehicles have 4' of unobstructed space between the wheelwells.

I'd trade my 81 C10 fleetside for a stepside any day of the week.

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

We actually call em SLAB sides round these parts. Need the steps on the side to jump on when were on the run shootin back at the revenuers!
    But orange?! This ant' OJ we are a runnin!