What are you guys running for Exhaust and Radiator

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by losboricua, May 4, 2020.

1. losboricua

losboricua New Member

So I finally got my 81 z28 running. I ended up getting a new driveshaft, rear disc conversion, rear suspensions, sway bar upgrade and aluminum radiator upgrade. Now my Holley street avenger carb needs rebuilding so I'm finally pully the trigger with EFI(probably Proflow 4 system). I was going back and forward with and LS swap or no, but since everyone and their mother are doing LS I'm sticking with my 350 and later on doing a 383 stroker kits, but for now, I want to drive my car finally. The car is a 81 Z28 with a 350 with some mods but nothing crazy and paired with a TH400.

Right now I have Hooked Long tube headers that are rusted, leaking gasket and dented because of speed bumps by the collectors. The radiator I installed last year was a cheap eBay 2 row 2" aluminum radiator with dual electric fans.

My questions are, knowing that I will be running EFI and 383 stroker in the next few years, what are you guys running for radiator? I was trying to tune my car the other day but even with a 180* stat and fan kicking on at 190* the car got up to 215* on a 75* day. Also, I'm looking to at getting headers that fit my engine and trans combo with 02 ports already welded on for the EFI and also with a catback with that does not hang too low. I currently have a custom hack job factory single muffle catback.

What are you guys running that works well with our cars. I know it is a long post but I wanted to give enough information.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Griffin Aluminum radiator that keeps my 600hp 427 sbc cool

As for exh , 3" true duals with 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

On my 1979 Z-28 I with a 500 HP 377 supercharged small block .I also run a Griffin radiator Clutch fan. With Doug Thorley long tube headers .2 1/4 exhaust with original tail pipes .3 chamber Flowmaster mufflers with a balance tube.I also run dual oil filters with an oil cooler because of the 15 lbs plus of boost I run.

Attached Files:

4. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

383 stroker...dynatec ceramic headers into 2.25 exhaust x-pipe. Champion 2 row 1" tube aluminum radiator.

5. losboricua

losboricua New Member

I was looking at Doug headers. After I posted this last night I started looking at my budget and I probably just have enough to do the EFI kit and some upkeep and fix the gasket leak. Maybe next year I can do headers and a better radiator. I think for now I can keep the temps down by wrapping the headers with some DEI wrap to keep temps in the engine down.

6. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

Zstar and dave@ztech like this.
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

383 I'm running a 3 core mishimoto radiator, American racing headers and a custom 3" full exhaust

8. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

On the 78 I’m running a champion triple core radiator with a twin spal thermo fans in a stainless shroud. The exhaust is a set of hooker ceramic coated long tube headers. They run into a 2 1/2” exhaust with a H pipe. The exhaust dumps just behind the back wheels at a 45 deg.

9. losboricua

losboricua New Member

Nice to see some options. So I was working on the car and notice some wire loom that started to melt. Near it I looked at the rusted Hooker header and notice that they are all cracked and leaking a decent amount of exhaust. Also, the EFI setup started to get pricy and my budget for the car started to shrink because of everything going on that I changed my priorities. So I placed an order to Pypes stainless exhaust kit, Summit Racing 1 5/8" ceramic coated header and a Summit Racing Carb. I'm hoping that the new ceramic coated headers will help bring engine compartment temps down(old hookers headers were just painted ones). If not I might be switching over to a Champion radiator. Seems like everyone is running them. Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I was able to afford right now so I can get her running.
    Thanks
    Carlos

Zstar and Oldskool62 like this.
  10. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

There is nothing wrong with the bits you mention. It's all about what you can & can't afford. I posted a thread about my build so far and it has been a buy what when I can when I save the coin. Kinda makes you appreciate things a bit more.

Zstar likes this.