What are you stick shift guys running on drag radials?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by girvin02, Oct 27, 2020.

1. girvin02

girvin02 New Member

Long time lurker, first time poster, here. Great site, I've learned a ton reading through many of the older threads.

I recently picked up a 81 Camaro Sport that started life as a V6/auto car. It came to me having already been swapped to a LS6/Muncie 4-speed combo. I had the rearend beefed up with Moser 30-spline axles, Yukon 3.73 gears & Eaton TrueTrac. The first time I gave it the beans, the ass-end squatted and I was treated to severe wheel hop through 1st & 2nd gears. More research here led me to purchase a set of Caltracs & Calvert Racing 9-way adjustable shocks, which completely eliminated the squatting & wheel hop.

Curious what the car would do in "street mode", I set off to the local drag strip, and made a few passes. The best pass on the General GMAX (275/40ZR17) tires was 2.065 60 ft, 8.460 1/8 mile @ 87.70 MPH & 12.816 1/4 mile @ 113.72 MPH.

I then picked up a set of Nitto NT05R drag radials (275/40-17) and headed back to the same track, one week later, resulting in a best pass of 1.974 60 ft, 7.859 1/8 mile @ 94.48 MPH & 12.031 1/4 mile @ 118.05 MPH.

I am happy with the gain in MPH and the drop in ET's, but know that there's a lot of room for improvement. Which leads me to the title of this post. What kind of 60 ft times can I realistically expect to achieve with drag radials and my manual transmission car? I uploaded a video of 12.03 pass onto youtube so that you guys can see how the car is leaving the line. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First off, welcome to the site, and nice quick running ride you have there. There are many others that have way more experience and insight on this, but I will give it a shot just to get this going....

With a 118 mph trap speed, that would equate to a 11.20 ET potential and around a 1.52 60ft, that's if everything was optimized. Lot's left on the table with your 60ft times.

I have had good luck going from a "drag Radial" to a MT "stiff Wall" slick with my manual set up. Ran a best of 12.6 with a 1.7 60ft, with the stiff walls....not a drag car or optimized in any way for the drag....but it dropped my 60ft.

But, that was a few years ago, some of those newer drag radials from MT are killer these days...I'm sure more will chime in.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  3. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

Not a big fan of running DR's with a stick. I had much better luck with a set of QTP's.