What are your thoughts on Water Purification (Campers)...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by EricsZ28, Jan 10, 2013.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So, I've been putting together some preparedness supplies for a stormy day, and I've gotten to water purification. I've done some online research, but I'm not sure who to believe.

I'm looking at providing enough water for an average-sized family.My geography provides some lake and pond water, storm run off's, a fair amount of rain, and access to wells that have organic material (not potable directly).

I would be interested in a "base camp" style setup, and then some "short term" solutions as well. Any thoughts out there?

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Berkey...one of the best out there. It uses ceramic filters and a drip method, so no power required to operate...just need to give it enough time to do it's job before you can use the water.
    http://www.jamesfilter.com/

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I work in a water treatment plant.. a biosand filter is easy to make and works quite well.

it will take a few weeks for the "bio colony" to mature in the filter, so bleach (sodium hypochlorite.. aka chlorine) can be used until then and for working up quick batches in a situation where you are moving frequently.
    filter the water then treat it... sunlight will remove any chlorine in short order, removing the chlorine smell after the pathogens are destroyed.

pool-shock is a good source of chlorine for drinking water disinfection... cheap, long shelf life.. etc...

be creative and let google do the work for you to find a design that appeals to you... but the above is the basic info you need.:innocent: