What color paint??

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by branbell, Oct 21, 2020.

1. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

So guys - I'm about half way through body work and today they brought up the dreaded question...What color are you gonna paint this thing??

Originally the car was paint code 28 light blue poly and I absolutely love the color and loved it before we tore it apart - mostly because it was different and I don't see too many this color any more. The car isn't going back original at all...so I want it to pop and stand out.

Maybe the original color will look great once it's freshly painted or could I do something to the original color and add something to it to make it "pop" a little more.

I don't know much about paint...what do you guys think could be done to make this color the same but slightly different??

I attached a pic of the car before we tore it all down. 734226_10200640878211421_543135217_n.jpg

budro6968 likes this.
  2. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

nice color. Mine is code 21.light metallic blue. Never seen that color you have. Love it.

3. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Thanks man - yea it's like a silvery blue and I haven't seen any in my area or any car shows around here. I'm kinda partial to the light blues!

House of Kolor doesn't have anything at all close.

4. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

I,d go with it.

branbell likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe a custom mix of the same color (base/clear) with a little pearl mixed in?

Here's a color that looks close.

upload_2020-10-21_20-27-35.png

http://gtcarlot.com/data/Hyundai/Sonata/2012/51133490/Exterior-57340275.html

There's a couple of cars that color in the above link. Different light makes the color look more silver.

It's far easier to imagine the color when you see it on another vehicle rather than a postage stamp sized paint chip in a paint catalog.

If you look around car lots and find something you really like in a factory color... Matching the eventual paint chip will be much easier.

That's how I chose the color for my car and ended up with a '93 Geo Prizm color. (It was painted in '94.)

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Looks like a beautiful car to start with. I like the original. What is the Paint code of the original?

7. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Thanks Twisted for the help and advice! I didn't expect you to actually do some research for me but man is it appreciated.

I actually love that color on that car! I think you have the right idea.

8. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Hey Budro,

The car was in pretty good shape but that pic is from 2009ish. It looked good from afar but wasn't everything I wanted the car to be. It was my daily for many years and then about 4 years ago we decided to tear it down and make it mine. New pro series 427 from blueprint, big brakes all the way around, hotchkiss stage 2 suspension, all new wiring, etc.

It was paint code 28 light blue poly

budro6968 likes this.
  9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Since you aren’t stock I’d go with a newer blue

10. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

That's probably what I'm going to do - that hyundai that twisted posted looks pretty good and along the same color I'm looking for.