What color paint??

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by branbell, Oct 21, 2020.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like 1970 Shadow Grey.
    C16AE41D-ABD3-4548-ABB5-F7C2667CEB6E.jpeg

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Looking at colors on a monitor or phone is not a real good idea. Neither is staring at thousands of paint chips. I think the best advise is to start looking at car colors you see on the road, at dealerships and at car shows.. What YOU see is what's important. An image or chip is hard to imagine over a whole car, and can sometimes be disappointing or even inaccurate. Light also affects what a color looks like. Here's an example.
    Below are pics of my truck taken with different light. Same truck, same color and paint.

Attached Files:

3. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

That is a nice color but I just see a lot of cars done in a color like that or similar.

I'm trying to do something not seen too often. No silvers, reds, oranges, or darker blues - trying to stand out in my own unique color.

4. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

You are exactly right!!

I've found those colors online and plan on getting some samples and having them sprayed out to see in person.

I love that truck btw - my first car was a 91 Sonoma that I bought from my grandpa. It had the 4.3 in it and I loved it.

xten likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thank you! It's fun to drive on the street and I have been driving it alot. I think my Camaro has been out only once or twice this year.

6. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

I haven't driven my Camaro in the past 5 years...I'm so ready for it to be done and can drive it on the street again.

I've missed it so much.

xten likes this.
  7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Spirit In Black

Like I mentioned earlier, if you pay attention to car colors while you're driving day-to-day, you'll really get an idea of what color NOT to paint your car.

Also, if you find a color you like, make sure you have a pic of it on your phone and then look at it every other day. After a month or two of that, you'll find out if you truly like the color enough to live with it. I actually considered a modern Chevy color called Shock for awhile. Loved it at first. But the more I looked at it on a 2019 Camaro ZL1 over several months, the more I began to dislike it to the point where it was making me sick, lol.

Right now, I'm looking at colors from back in the '60s but adding pearl and also some colors from video games like Grand Theft Auto. Looking at modern exotics as well for ideas.

branbell likes this.
  8. raysirx

raysirx New Member

upload_2020-10-27_7-48-56.png
    I went with Artic Blue

70 RS Z28 and John Janosko III like this.
  9. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

That's a good looking car - do you have any more in different lightings??