What colour should I paint my trunk floor...?

earlysecond

Veteran Member
Aug 9, 2002
Altoona, PA
Its expensive and overkill but if you only want to donit once and have the tools. . .black epoxy primer then a quality truck bedliner was my choice. I use my trunk though, others may not.

The Seer

Veteran Member
Nov 1, 2014
Essex England
Twisted_Metal said:
A thin coat of rattle-can satin black will be close to the factory finish.

Trunk interiors were not body color.

Thanks for the info there :)

So, trunk interiors originally were more or less a satin black then?

The Seer

Veteran Member
Nov 1, 2014
Essex England
earlysecond said:
Its expensive and overkill but if you only want to donit once and have the tools. . .black epoxy primer then a quality truck bedliner was my choice. I use my trunk though, others may not.

I can see how a truck bedliner would work for a trunk that's used frequently. Sadly for us here in England the price of fuel at $8.50 a gallon means we probably don't use these cars maybe as much as we'd like.

perkalator

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2014
kennewick wa
The factory look is a three color splatter paint. My 77 was blue white and black from what i can tell the primary colors where blue and white.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
I used Raptor bed liner in my trunk, the kit came with 4 quart cans so I also shot the wheel wells and the battery tray and part of the fender well under the battery tray to cover some repair work where corrosion had been caused by a battery.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
The Seer said:
Thanks for the info there :)

So, trunk interiors originally were more or less a satin black then?

Only on the later 2nd gens. Early ones had splatter paint in the trunks.

I don't know what year they stopped using splatter paint but my 80 never had it.

The Seer

Veteran Member
Nov 1, 2014
Essex England
paintman65 said:
My black '81 is black with a fine texture almost like undercoat. It's an LA built car if that makes any difference.

Mine came from the Van Nuys plant too. Thanks for the information :) I guess the undercoat has satin look to it.

Latest posts