What do I need to get my 79 into epoxy primer?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by reinhardt79, Mar 5, 2016.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

I have a 79 Camaro in desperate need of paint. My plan is to strip the paint off the car as I have panels from several cars with numerous layers of paint on a couple. I have heard good things about the clean and strip discs for a 4 1/2" grinder. Remove the paint without gouging the metal.

Then I plan to epoxy prime the body and assess it from there. I am sure I will need to do some dent and ding repair. As far as I can tell there is no rust to worry about, guess I will see when I get it stripped.

My question is: What materials do I need to get the car in primer? I plan to buy a HF spray gun. A couple clean and strip disc. Eastwood for epoxy primer, fast etch, and thinner (I guess). What else do I need?

How much primer?

2. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

I would chemically strip it if I were you. Chemical stripper is pretty cheap and VERY effective and easy to use. It neutralizes with water but is messy. I'd estimate its 2x cheaper and faster than using a grinder disk. Grinder disks induce a lot of heat. What I did with my entire car is chemically strip it and give it a quick once over with a scotchbright hook and loop pad on my angle grinder. Everyone does it different but this method has proven to me to by my favorite ! Use a respirator when using stripper. Its relaxing in a sense because you can listen to the radio, its a zero noise and dust approach ! I bought one gallon of epoxy, but after reducer and hardener it turns into 2 gal sprayable. That's enough to do your whole car. The HF guns are apparently decent, If your going to block and high build the whole car anyway the gun doesn't really matter (until you get to base and clear).

3. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

same boat

I'm kind of in the same boat but my paint doesn't need to be stripped. Tha paint is basically pretty good although it obvious there has been one repaint and maybe a couple of area repairs.

There's a lot conflicting info n how to proceed. As for a HF spray gun there is a very good vid on YT about how how to cure the five common complaints for HFs "best' gun the Purple Gun as it is called.

Once you why these problems occur and how to fix hem you have a good gun.

Keep us posted on your progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

Before you decide to paint over the top of the existing paint, I suggest you do the duct tape test. I saw it in Kevin Tetz videos on youtube. Take a piece of duct tape, stick it to the car, smooth it on good with your nail, snatch it off. If you pull paint, might want to strip the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBJfKOyZbM

I forget which episode he covers the paint test I refer to, but a good series to watch. He also has other videos covering paint basics.

What's wrong with the paint on it? The car looks great.

5. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used a combination of clean & strip discs, flap discs and media blasting. I wanted to stay away from chemical strippers, but that was just me. They obviously get used frequently, so I don't to diss them or anything.

As far as clean & strip vs grinder discs...clean & strip discs are much less aggressive and induce less heat than flap discs and sanding discs. I am a big fan of clean & strip discs. Check out www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com for good prices on abrasives. And I suspect you'll need more than "a few" to properly strip the entire vehicle.

As far as what else you need....you need a spray gun (HF purple gun works fine), epoxy primer, wax & grease remover (some people detest W&G), lint free rags to clean the panels, lacquer thinner to properly clean the gun. The rest of things you need should be obvious.

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

I'd recommend talking to a reputable media blaster before you start buying materials and tools. Taking a whole car back to bare metal, ensuring it's spotlessly clean and rust free before spraying every square inch with fairly toxic epoxy is a big unpleasant job.

I've done it myself, mechanically and chemically as well as paying others and since finding a decent media blaster who will prime the freshly blasted steel with the product of my choice I leave it to them. Not sure what prices are like where you are but for me materials + my time vs. quality of job make it a no brainer.

7. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Blast down to bare metal with crushed glass. Strips very well and leaves behind a nice tooth for the new epoxy primer to adhere to.

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that's a good idea actually. Looking back this is what I should have done, but I had it in my mind that I needed to do every aspect of the build. Now I realize it's OK to farm some tasks out to others, esp when it's grunt work like stripping a car.

9. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used stripper disks on the outside of my car. If you check out my build thread I list them on like page two or three, and you can see the results. They worked really well. They do induce a bit of heat if you hold it in one spot. If you work an area for a few minutes and then move to a different panel and then come back and forth you can keep the heat down no problem. $100 in disks and a few hours of time and you're done.

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Edem Alive, That is quite a build you have going on there. It looks like you are going first class all the way. I see it looks like your first paint job, I'm an amateur painter myself, maybe 10-15. I don't want to seem like a jerk but I don't like the looks of that sanding job on the top side of the car. I have painted over stuff like that before that somebody sanded for me with bad results. I know there are awesome high build primers nowadays so you may be alright anyway but to my eye it's going to need some high build primer and leveling. For that reason I don't think those stripper disks are a good option. I would prefer to use a DA and 80 grit and keep the metal nice and flat, and that's a lot of work, just my opinion. I wish I could have better luck with stripper but it never works right for me and I end up with a mess. Any painters feel free to correct me, is that roof smooth enough for paint or does it resemble grinder marks?

I'll be following your build though and that maroon car is in nice shape. I will be documenting my build in the coming weeks and will be doing some sandblasting on the bottom too.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016