What do you think, to good to be true?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Gasoholic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I found this ad on racingjunk dot com.
    https://www.racingjunk.com/SBC-comp...00-HP-CR-E.html?category_id=5639&np_offset=65

I tried calling but get a recorded message. So I sent the seller a message through the web site.
    He texted me back and said the picture is current, 4 bolt main block, it has forged crank, h beam rods, and forged pistons, full hydraulic roller. And yes it includes everything in the picture.

Wow! The serp drive set up and polished intake and dress up package cost close to 1000$ Maybe more!
    I just happen to have a 671 that would look really nice sitting on top of this.
    Problem is I live in MI. And this motor is in Southern FL.
    No way I'm buying something like this unseen.
    I've been trying to find some one local to check it out for me. My closest relative lives 2 hours away from ft Lauderdale. He would check it out for me if I asked him, but I'd really hate to send him on a wild goose chase, or worse send him into a bad situation.

What do you think? To good of a deal to be real?

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's been 30 years since I've seen a built small block for $1600. I would be shocked if it had all he's saying is in it. Like you said, the pulley set up alone is worth $800-$1000. Be careful

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

That sure looks too good to be true. Rather odd name for the seller too.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

You can’t get a crate engine from Summit or Jegs without the pulley system for less than $2500-3000 or more. I didn’t look it up.

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I am sure all the engine parts except for the block and heads are made of solid Chinesium.

77 cruiser likes this.
  6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

She gone!

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

As usual, if it's too good to be true - it is.

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Apparently the motor is still for sale. The guy texted me and asked if I was still interested.
    Never know, I've seen some killer deals out there. If it was practical I would go look at it.
    Honestly the picture looks like its a "dresser" motor. Made to look pretty, but not for racing. In that case the price would be about right.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I don’t trust racing junk at all!!!!

That’s where I bought my first LS7 engine. Spoke to the guy, had his # etc...paid via PayPal and never saw the engine. Never buy anything expensive unless it’s a business or you plan to pick it up in person to transfer the goods.

10. Michael Sammy

Michael Sammy Member

Don't buy it unless you can see it in person. Also, the engine is probably shot and needs a full rebuild so he's selling it low. I'm always skeptical about engines priced too low

There are some good deals every now and then. 2 years ago a friend of a friend lost his job and was willing to sell his fully restored 71 Camaro for $3000 so he could make his bills due at the end of the week. I had the option to buy it but passed because I felt like I was stealing the car from him and didn't want things to be awkward if we met again in the future. He ended up selling it the same day he put it up for sale on Facebook marketplace because he was desperate.
    He later ended up losing his house too due to foreclosure, but he regrets losing the car more than his house

hubedobeedo likes this.