What Engine/Tranny Combo is most cost effective?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Quazit, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Quazit

Quazit Veteran Member

Ok, odd title I know.

I have the 75 which I will be putting back together in the next 6 months or so.

It has no driveshaft, no transmission or engine in it, so I see it as a blank slate.

If I were to source a used engine setup. What would people recommend? I would like the build or setup as economical as possible when the time comes. It will likely just be a day cruiser.

If there is a donor vehicle I should be looking for parts from in local yards I'll take that information also. I prefer not to change the mounts and stick to what would be able to drop in with the least modification as possible.

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Go find an 70s or 80s GM car or van with a V8 that is ready for the crusher and pull the drive train. Used to be pretty common here in the snow belt to find a decent running pile of rust for a couple hundred bucks. Clean up the motor, tuneup, some chrome and go with it. Might find a 4 speed auto even. Scrap the vehicle and recover some of the cost.

1320feet and Quazit like this.
  3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

400 SBC, with a set of Vortec heads and a good Turbo 350. That combo will bring a smile to your face for sure.