What happened to the DieHard Platinum?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Chevy 350, Jan 8, 2014.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

You do get what you pay for, sometimes...;)

NAPA used to help us sell ACDelco and Motorcraft batteries when they used Exide. The reputation that NAPA got from the warranty issues still helps us sell batteries

Interstate is one of the most expensive batteries on the market (someone has to pay for all the cars that Kyle Busch wrecks...;) ). They are built to Interstates standards - and the quality of an Interstate battery is a result of those standards.

They used to be known as a very high quality battery, but just this week I picked up two more battery accounts that had been diehard (no pun intended) Interstate customers for years. Price, warranty and service issues were the reason.

A top of the line ACDelco 78 series battery (made by Johnson Controls) has a 42 month free replacement warranty. The top of the line Interstate 78 series has a 30 month free replacement warranty. Repair shop cost for the Interstate MTP 78 is about $20.00 higher for than the ACDelco 78PG.

2. CASEY CAJUN

CASEY CAJUN New Member

Champ - I have an '06 Silverado diesel with 2 batteries in it. I drive it maybe once a week, short distances, and it only has 24,000 miles. I noticed when I don't drive it for awhile, when I start it the cranking amps are low. The batteries are now over 7 years old.

So this year I'm definitely going to replace dual batteries for it. Any suggestions? Keep in mind it's a diesel. Thanks, Casey

3. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

I would consider the NAPA commercial battery for above.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Autocraft Gold or Platinum (also made by Johnson Controls) from Advance Auto Parts seem to be pretty good batteries. They have a 3 year free replacement and pro-rated for the remainder of the 60 months from purchase.

Why I like them? Because you can get it online with a $40 coupon and go pick it up locally for free. I use their marine batteries in my boats, too. Gotten great service from all.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

An ACD 78PG or a 78DTPG would be my choice. Top of the line and has a 42 month free replacement warranty.

6. CASEY CAJUN

CASEY CAJUN New Member

Hello, Champ - I took your advice and went and bought two 78pg's today. My old batteries have been in there since I bought the truck in 2006, and when I took them out, they were both swollen. However, the old batteries still worked--just a little slow in the cold mornings. The price for both batteries was $210.00. I changed them out myself and went to Delco Battery and got them.

Thanks for your advice...Casey

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Casey

You got a decent deal on the batteries. Jobber price (what I charge my independent repair shops and fleets) is about $96.00 each.