what is it with Veitnam vets and being bikers?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by LayZ, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

with what they went through, they can ride whatever they want. a lot of them saved their combat pay for a new Camaro when they got home

2. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I know one guy who literally bought a '68 Baldwin Motion Camaro while in a foxhole. Soon as he got home, he headed down to Long Island and picked it up. What a homecoming gift! He still has it. I haven't seen it since '75.

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

God, it's pathetic here. Like a group of 3rd graders running around with clipboards.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i know quite a few Vietnam Vets that ride and talk with them on occasion , They ride bikes because that is what was going on back in the late 60's into the 70's

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My 70SS Camaro was purchased with my Vietnam combat pay when I returned in 1970.

6. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

There also are MANY Viet Nam Vet biker posers out there too now days. I know our Viet Nam Vets are awesome, but it's kind of a shame that some people would go through great lengths to buy all kinds of Viet Nam vet appearal to go along with their Harley - just to pretend they are something they are not, nor ever served. My grandfather served 30 years in the Marine Corps - mostly as an infantry man in his career - did 3 tours over there... he's my hero, and when I run into posers it makes my blood boil! :mad:

7. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

AWESOME!!!

Thank you sir....I too save some of my combat pay from OIF to buy my 78 TA.

8. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Same thing happens here. I went to one legieon show and parked next to a one owner very nice 69 Camaro and watched all the winners have on biker jackets. Oh well, it was fun to hang out at the show at least but the best cars did not win a thing. I'm turned off to judged shows anymore anyway. Especially if the hosting groups cars are not exempt.

But, if was in Nam and made it back and able to ride I would and I don't like motorcycles. Those guys went thru hell. They should have all been given a voucher for one free toy.

9. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes most of the original bikes were WWII vets, they started the whole concept & the Vietnam guys just picked up the torch when they got back.

IMHO, I think the reason it was,they lived so so long on the edge, living from moment to moment that when they came back & tried to slide right into the "Mr. Rogers" kind of lifestyle, it just didn't work. They need that edgier, "crawling from foxhole to foxhole" , living for the moment style.

10. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

I don't know why and I may be wrong, but to me it seems that a lot of these guys are just Vietnam vet wannabes. It would be interesting to check their papers and see real to hanger on.