What is my 79' Z28 Worth?

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by Henrykjr, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

In a few weeks I'll be offering up my Camaro that I have owned for 38 years. It was mu first car ever. I purchased it with 17,000 miles on it and now it has 102,000 original miles.

Overall the car is in pretty good shape.....I had it blasted and painted a number of years ago and had the original color and striped put back on.....garage kept since an I have maybe put 2000 miles on it over the last 17 years or so.

The car sat for 8 years and now I am getting up an running again to pass on to the new owner.

Motor original matching, transmission original matching, interior original matching...small split on the drivers seat, 1 din stereo. Overall good condition.

Recently replaced: Shocks, fuel pump, gas tank, tank sending unit, water pump, radiator, radiator hoses, hoodliner, thermostat, speaker grills, headers, exhaust. All fluids

I consider this a good condition vehicle overall...... to make is really nice the motor would have to be pulled compartment detailed and then put back in.

Non original stuff on the car.....headers, manifold, carb, and cam, stereo. Other than that it's all there.

Car is White with Orange stripes, rally wheels not t tops. TH350 trans.

I see prices all over the place from near $17000 to as low as $10000 for similar vehicles.

I have found these cars tough to price because the people that buy them have to like the car and have it mean something personally to them.

I just wanted to get some thoughts here. Pictures coming in a few weeks.

HK

2. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

I looked at the autotrader classic page myself. I think some of the pricing being asked is quite high relative to vehicle condition. But it's still really no indication of what the vehicles actually sold for. I'd be jumping all over the place if I got $20K for my car.....but I know that is far from realistic.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You are absolutely correct. There is a distinct difference between "asking price" and what the cars actually sell for. I honestly think 74-81 Camaros are actually hard to sell for good money. Why spend $20K on a 79 Camaro when you can get a 70-73 for that or even a 67-69?

The fact is its unfortunate how nice a 78-81 Camaro can be and its still not a highly valued car. Options and condition are everything. Being White with Orange stripes is not a popular color and many potential buyers drop off considerably. Does it have T-tops? Is it even a Z28?

A very nice 1979 Camaro is probably $8-$12K....My advice would be to clean it up well. Mark the price high and put "neg" out there. See what people are willing to spend.

"SOLD" 1979 Camaros on Ebay look to range from $3,500-$11,000. There is one on there about $26K but its fully restored, Z28, T-Top,

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Kelly Blue book is a source.

5. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

It is a Z-28. The issues with the 78-81 Z-28's....they were very highly produced......63,000 Z-28's in 1979.....they were absolute turds for both quality and performance. That being said.....generally cars of these year of manufacture were generally ingnored, wrecked or carved up similar to the way those rice cooker Hondas are today.
    The end result is that there are not many of these left.
    Based on my guy....I'm gonna put it out there in the $16K range and see where it goes......I am hoping the person that buys it....just completes the restoration on it and enjoys it for a long long time.

HK

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Do you have pictures of it? We would like to see it..

7. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

I will post them in a couple of weeks. Please PM me and I'll send you the pictures when I take them. Car is in Orlando

8. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

There is a 79 Z that has been for sale at a dealer near me for over 6 months. It started at $15000. They're now down to $11000. It's red, with stripes, t-tops, and has a lot less mileage. I realize there was is a geographic difference but the ad is on social media so it can be seen everywhere.

9. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

I think the real selling points are going to be how original the car is. Things like the steering wheel that is original and has no replacement. All for the odds and ends that cost you $100-$200 at a time. I think the original decal set is somewhere in the $600 range these days. It's debatable where the wheels and tires are valued but they are not Centerlines or Crager SS wheels.

HK

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020