what is the most reliable daily driver you have owned?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72350RS, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just curious, as our 23 yr old Nissan won't be here for another year, and the 2003 E500 has cost us an average of 3k per year for the last three years.
    The Nissan has 96k, and the other has 67k, just crossed on the way to the shop.
    The Nissan has been super cheap to keep in top form, but it is rusting out.

The E class has just been a nightmare...

I think this may be the last year without AWD or 4wd...

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

2. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

My 2004 chevy Z71. 221, 000 still runs like a champ. Best ever, hands down.

3. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

My 79 Camaro hasn't really given me too many problems, I'd have to say my 94 of course was more reliable except one time one of the spark plug wires started grounding to the o2 sensor.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

I drive a Subaru legacy outback 5 speed with 235,000 miles . Work and back . Rust , some electrical problems but it passed inspection one more year ...

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been happy with all the Honda/Acura vehicles we've owned.

'95 Honda Accord- bought new Nov '94, driven daily until May '07. Clutch and half-shafts replaced. Sold because I wanted a new car.:)
    '02 Acura TL-S- bought new May '01. Transmission replaced by recall at 50k miles, but nothing seemed wrong with it, it was just on their list. Headlight seals failed in a high-pressure car wash, cost me $500+ to fix (doing it myself). Trunk release failed (no key release) in '09. Sold in July '12 because we needed more seats.
    '06 Acura TL- bought new Oct '06, still have it, 66k miles, clips on the seat back are broken (think one of the carpool kids did this). No trouble otherwise thus far.
    '12 MDX- leased new Mar '12, 19k miles. Still have it. Nice vehicle except for crappy gas mileage (by car standards, by SUV it's pretty good). No issues thus far. It's AWD, has been great in the couple of snow storms we've had. We've likely buy it out at the end of lease (Mar '15).

I'm probably "Honda For Life" at this point. 10-year ownership costs were under $5k for all of them (thus far), and that includes tires, oil, parts, even the costly timing belt replacement- everything. I do my own maintenance in general (oil, brakes, fluid), except the timing belt. I hate that job.

6. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Why don't you try buying a domestic vehicle?

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 1987 s-10
    2.5 4banger 315,000 miles then sold it and he drove it for a while before he wrecked it

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My most reliable vehicle has been my 81 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. I've driven it over 30 years with almost no repairs.

9. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My parents have the best luck with daily drivers. 2004 Nissan Altima with the 2.5 has almost 300,000 miles and the only problems out of it was the catalytic converter that was recalled from the factory, and it has went though a couple of alternators. My dad has a 1997 2wd Silverado with 300,000+ miles and that thing is a tank no major repairs to speak of. Except for the time I blew a head gasket when I first got my license :innocent:.

10. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thank you!! I've been looking at the new (or close to) Santa Fe, the Pilot , the Traverse, and, yes, the Subaru Forester.. I know the Traverse is in another class, but depreciation may make it more feasible for our needs.

I keep a car until the wheels fall off, or until the maintenance becomes ridiculous...And the maintenance cost has to be severe, thus my post! :eek:

However, my brother has a 1999 R class Lexus which has cost him next to nothing for the 7 yrs he as owned it..

I'd like a newer safer ride for Adam, but I just am not sure which way to go!

I understand that the newer Hondas are really hard to work on...That may have an influence on long term cost....