what is the most reliable daily driver you have owned?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72350RS, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Fubar

Fubar Veteran Member

a 1994 BMW 316i

That car was completely run down, needed quite a bit of work....just kept bringing me wherever i needed to go.

Thank god gfor that, i was flat broke at that time :p

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

When my Camaro was my DD, it was pretty good. But I had my share of breakdowns. Some were quick side-of-the-road fixes, while others were major.
    87 Transam, was stupid dependable for 228k miles and the abuse it endured, but it broke at least once I can recall.
    Current 03 VW TDI has been amazing, but a fuel pump leak put it down for the week (parts are non-existant locally, so had to wait for internet store) But that's once in the last few years, and that car currently has 318k miles. Yes, over three-hundred.

The two cars I never had a solitary issue with was my 02 Tacoma and my 07 Tundra. BUT... the 02 only got to 105k before I traded it in, and the Tundra only got 48k before I sold it. It's a little unfair to compare those though, because they were new and super-low mileage compared to everything else.
    I sure as hell miss the trucks though!

3. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2004 Toyota Camry SE... great car, still have it.

4. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine was a 97 Nissan 200sx. Bought it cheap with 110k on it. Drove it directly into the ground over the coarse of 7 years. Ended up with 307k. A few hiccups along the way, nothing major. More rust than my 79z ever had or will have.

Working on a 99 civic now. Hoping for the same results.

5. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 2006 Toyota Sienna mini van is by far the most reliable vehicle I have had. 190,000 miles and not a lick of trouble. Just regular maintenance. My 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan comes in at a close second. 230,000 miles with no issues until lately. Overall, it's not worth much, so I don't plan on putting any more money in it. I'll just drive it until the wheels fall off.

B

6. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Black ziptie master, second only to Freiburger
    Can't say I've ever had a truly unreliable car, except for the brand-new '96 DOHC 3.4 Cutlass Supreme that I bought (first new car). It wasn't unreliable in the sense that it ever left me stranded, it just had its share of problems that the dealer could never fix right. They weren't even major problems, just little things that disappointed me, considering it was a brand new car. Always owned GM - Olds, Pontiac and of course Chevy.

The only time any of them broke to the point of being undriveable were the busted trans & rear in my '87 IROC (separate occasions) and they were due to me driving it like I was actually racing in the IROC series. Same deal for my first '77 Camaro...I beat the snot out of that car, so once in a while it would flip me the bird and I'd have to put mileage on my shoes to get home.

The encoder motor for the transfer case in my Tahoe crapped out and wouldn't shift into 4WD, which was a common problem from what I understand. The gauge cluster also went. They both happened in 2008 but it was still driveable and they were both covered under warranty. Haven't had a problem with it since then.

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

94 Plymouth Colt. Paid $200 for it, drove it for 6 years and sold it for $400. It got 42 mpg and never left me stranded. Aside from regular maintenance, it cost me next to nothing to drive that car.

8. rs454

rs454 Veteran Member

1997 vw golf ...has 230000 miles on it and still gets 32 mpg..paid 900.00 for it

9. Biker Beck

Biker Beck Veteran Member

I put 300K miles on my outback before the engine light ever came on. It was a plugged catalytic converter and I still drove it 2 more months then just sold it 4 months ago.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

1991 S10, bought new on Labor Day 1990, stickered for $12.400, out the door at $8500. Tahoe, V6, 5 speed. Now right at 300k miles, looks good, drives and runs like new, 26 -28 mpg. Only unexpected repair was a fuel pump at 85k miles. Total routine repairs probably about $1000 in parts or so. Wish I could buy a new one like it today.