what is the most reliable daily driver you have owned?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72350RS, Feb 2, 2014.

1. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

My current daily driver is a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I bought it brand new. Right now has 220,000 miles and drives awesome! Best vehicle I have ever owned. Has never left me anywhere, never stalled, never not-started, never failed me.

2. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

My '92 Camaro RS
    T-tops
    305 TBI
    TH700-R4
    2.73 rear gear, open carrier

Bought it in 2002 w/128,000 miles on the OD. Sold in 2006 with 198,000 miles. Still ran like a champ.

Parts are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Brake calipers were $14
    Pads were $8
    Radiator was $80
    Dynomax cat-back was $95
    Alternator was $120 (120 amp)
    Even tires (245/50/R16) direcional tires were under $500 installed.

It only left me stranded at work once. Turned out to be the ignition module. $45

It would knock down 28 mpg all day long, and I got 33 on the highway on a few occasions. I miss that car. :(

[​IMG]

3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can blame the corn (ethanol) lobby for that one.

AJ_72, when I had my 87 IROC, I regularly knocked down upper 20s on extended highway runs with the 305 TPI, 5speed (that I didn't rag on too hard after breaking 2 T5s with the 3800 in my 96), and 3.08 gears. I wish I still had it. But before the tranny started slipping, I was getting 23-24 in the 78 (L31 Vortec, TH350, 2.73s).

4. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

That's excellent on both counts. Was that a full fledged L31, as far as the camshaft and what not?

The third gen, while not the most attractive of the bunch, really was a phenomenal car in it's overall design and structure. So good that the 4th gen wasn't much more than merely a body panel redesign on the same basic skeleton.

I had a 1994 Z28, 6 spd. w/t-tops before the '92 and it also did very well on gas. Not as well as the '92 because I couldn't keep my foot out of it, but I did manage to knock down 28 mpg on my way home from Detroit one year after Memorial Day weekend. Not too bad at all considering the '07 Aveo I once had got a best of 33 mpg. :screwup:

5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I still have the 78, I just haven't been able to yank the tranny yet to fix it. We suspect the seals started going hard first, and the pump went very soon afterwards. But I'm eventually either going to swap over to a manual or get the 4L80E that was originally attached to the engine (my buddy still has it in TN). It is a full L31. The swap was done before I owned it but I helped a lot with it. Has the full EFI. The only difference from what it was when we pulled it out of the truck is we swapped in the upgraded spider when we discovered the old unit was bad. The ECM is on the cabin side of the firewall and the OBDII port is mounted underneath the ash tray.

6. Sir 4 speed

Sir 4 speed Veteran Member

My daily driver is a mint 89 Oldsmobile 98 regency brougham, 3800 series motor. Car is awesome, only had to put a master cylinder in it when I got it, I'm am only the second owner.

7. azkeebler

azkeebler Veteran Member

My first car in my name, 1979 Camaro has been my least expensive and most reliable daily driver ever. Never left me stranded and always seem to get me home limping or otherwise. Currently the tranny is bad, but still drove home from Reno when the convertor or front pump gave up the ghost. Over 230,000 miles of fun memories!

8. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Honestly, my 86 vette was the best darn car I ever owned. Never stuck me, ran like a beast and was great to look at.

The brake booster would bust periodically because they were plastic but that was not a big deal to fix.

9. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From 1987 to 1993 I drove a 79 Camaro RS 305ci 4-speed, it had no A/C or power options. I paid $4200 for the car and it had 44000 miles on it when purchased. I drove that car every day, cruised it hundreds of miles going nowhere on Friday and Saturday nights. I drove it 90 miles round trip every day to work for the last 3 years in my possession. The only major mechanical part I ever had to install was a clutch. Normal wear items like brakes and bulbs were replaced as usual. She started rusting pretty good from the Illinois winters, carpet was trashed and the drivers seat cover was literally falling off the foam. She had 220,000 miles when I sold her in 1993, almost 180,000 miles I put on her over a 6+ year period. I miss that car but I have had a company car every year since then so all my Camaro's and other toys since that year have been weekend drivers only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

A red 1988 Honda Civic Dx hatchback. I bought the car for 800 bucks, drove it for 2 years. Did a 90 mile/day round trip to work and back. Sold it for 1350 bucks with 40 more thousand miles on it than when I bought it. I never did anything but oil and filters. 34 mpg consistently. I think it had around 189,000 miles on it when I sold it.