what is the most reliable daily driver you have owned?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72350RS, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ferd. E-250. HD Van ..... Ford 300 inline 6 cyl.......208,000 uses no oil . One set of pads , brake rotors turned ONCE. Some minor rust. Original OD auto , changed auto. Fluid three times ....radiators suck :mad: .....great van.

Wife's Lexus IS 300 has 200,000 trouble free miles . Tires , batt, brake pads and timing belt . 2003 looks almost new , no rust ....another inline 6 cyl , Runs perfect ....

Worst car / truck. =

Any. Dodge / Plymouth. .. We've owned.

2. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

22re or 3.0?

I love the camaro, the only thing that has made it less reliable than the Yota is fixing all of the PO's hack job wiring. One crank seal is all i have had to fix on the Yota. 165k currently, hope to get another 100k+ before i swap in a mercedes diesel. (the Toy v6 lacks in the power department)

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

KNOCK ON WOOD...

I've never owned a troublesome vehicle. All I've owned have been pretty reliable.

I probably screwed up when I sold my '94 Honda Accord. Replaced the clutch at 240K miles. While I had the trans out, I did the oil pan gasket, oil pump, rear main seal, and timing belt. Car had 300K on it when I sold it and still got 34 mpg. There were certain electrical 'stuff' that were starting to give problems, but none that would left me stranded. Power door locks, AC motor, etc. Sold it for $2000 in just 3 hours of putting a For Sale sign in the window.

My '02 Silverado that I'm currently driving has been an outstanding vehicle. It's just shy of 139K on it and has only cost me the cost of routine maintenance....except for the passenger side window motor = $60

Wife's '07 Mazda 6 has been a great vehicle. It's been unfortunate in attracting some fender benders (none were her fault). Mechanically, it's a sound vehicle. We're likely about to sell it to upsize being that we're about to add 1 more to the family.

4. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

I had a 1991 S10 with the 2.5 4 banger and 5 speed manual transmission, had 335,000 miles on it when the clutch finally let go, I didn't feel like fixing it so I sold it to a guy that put a small block in it, the body was still as solid and straight as when I got it, and the engine still ran great.

Later I had a 1994 Caprice 9c1 with the 5.7 LT1 and 4l60e, it had 320,000 miles on it when the transmission let go. Before I owned it it was a Michigan State patrol car, the body panels looked clean and solid, but the undercarriage was rotted badly. I wasn't looking forward to fighting the rusted hardware to fix the transmission, so I sold it. The engine ran strong and never gave me a problem.

Also my 2002 Trailblazer with the 4.2 inline 6 was a damn good vehicle, it had 125,000 when I got it, and was at around 192,000 when my wife totaled it. It could have passed for a very low mile vehicle it was so clean inside and out. I had no doubt that it would have gone well over 300,000 as long as the maintenance was kept up on it.

All 3 of those vehicles were great to me, only needed routine maintenance and gave me pretty much zero issues.

5. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My '05 Tahoe made it 255K miles(many off road) before I traded it in last fall for a newer one. Smokin' and some lifter noise, but was still running pretty good. I build roads, so it spent a lot of time in the dirt and mud. Had to rescue 4 of my F450's stuck in the mud one night finishing up late in the rain while working on the Redskin's 'bubble' (practice field). Tahoe-1, F450's-0. Good car....served it's purpose.

6. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Yep, knock on wood, but my little no frills 5-speed '04 Aveo is getting ready to turn 100,000 miles and its been trouble free since new. I only paid 7800 bucks for it brand new, haha. Been a great little commuter car. But getting tired of it, maybe time for something else soon.

I put about 250-60,000 miles on a little '88 shortbed v6 Dakota. That was a darn good truck, for what it was. Loaded with every option too. If I could get a brand new one just like that one today, I'd probably buy it.

7. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is impressive!

Thanks for the responses, and insight.

Update, got the repair done and they delivered it. 20 min later, I get in the car and start it. CEL light is on,
    all 4 02 sensors were bad, by the codes.

They replaced the front 2 for $500... 30 mile test drive, and the trip to pick up Adam from, school.... Copacetic this far...

But almost $3k for this service, excluding the regular maintenance.

This is not the Mercedes shop. I got a bill there a couple years back for almost 7k, resisted, paid about 5, and haven't been back. This new shop has advisors, technicians from the Mercedes store, and the customer I spoke with there was a salesman from the Mercedes store. The owner of the shop was the used car manager at the Mercedes store.....
    He comes from money, serious money, saw a need, and filled i, I guess.

The shop has bent over backwards to accommodate, and the car came back cleaner inside than I left it....

That was a first...

At least here was no salt on the wound, and their professionalism was spot on.

They didn't make the car...

8. 72350RS

Btw, the estimate for that original repair at the Mercedes shop was what I paid for. Not the surprise, "oh yeah, but..."

9. 72350RS

I am surprised at the contingent of happy Dodge owners speaking up... Maybe I've counted them out incorrectly!

Glad to see the Aveo is treating you well, too.. I've sold quite a few and never heard a single complaint...

When our Cadillac store took on Chevrolet, briefly, nobody wanted to sell a Chevrolet because there were too many models, too many trim levels, and you would be undercut for a dollar. 11 Dealerships for Chevrolet in a 20 mile radius....

But if you were willing to learn the products (all of them), and you cared, then you would make extra sales per month, and GM didn't care if you sold Cadillacs or Chevrolets...
    So I kept my focus on the Cadillacs I'd always sold, and those customers.

But I augmented those sales with Chevrolet sales, and every month I gained new customers that liked to meet someone with knowledge, and who was willing to demonstrate service, and it paid me well to sell them.
    After all, almost nobody starts out buying a Cadillac. It is a progression. Not only that, but a 1/2 hr to 1 hr delivery presentation was a whole lot easier then a 3 hour delivery for a Cadillac which (more often than not) required a second 2 hour delivery at the home of the customer...And people buying Cadillacs might also eventually look for, or want to help those in the family/ friends looking for a good car- new, used, Cadillac, Chevrolet, another used car, whatever...

Those customers knew they could trust you, and if you delivered, that is where the efforts paid off..

I read a blurb on some website from an individual who decided to "share" his insight on the car business.

An "expert."

Evidently he worked somewhere for 4 years.... I am surprised that that even seems impressive.

He trashed the entire industry, encouraging the idea that the sales professional, regardless of who he is, is only there for his best interest and cares nothing about you.

Everything he or she does is an act to get your money into his or her pocket.

Wow.

Now, of course, none of us would go to work to achieve less than a profit to better ourselves or our families...

But only successful people realize that the care and best interests of our customers are what keep them coming back to us, referring business to us, trusting us, and make us proud to look in the mirror and do what we do, regardless of the stigma attached to our profession.

The individual ( I won't call him a salesman, a professional, or anything else as flattering), didn't succeed.

If he had succeeded, I doubt that I would have seen his blog.

And 4 years is nothing other than an opportunity to learn complacency, mediocrity, and to reap the meager fruits of those efforts.

Sorry for the way off base tangent, but this has been on my mind a bit...

10. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I will admit, I wish I still had my Dakota. Didn't get any better fuel mileage than my Burb does, but there was nowhere that truck couldn't get to. V6, 5speed, 4x4. Couldn't have asked for a better truck. Had to sell it while I was unemployed following though.

I understand your salesman comment. I had a sales professional (and I mean that in every sense of the word) that I went through more than once at the Carmax in Nashville. Great guy, answered any question I had, and if he didn't have an answer right off hand, he found out and got back with me very quickly. If I was still in the area, I would definitely at least talk to him about my upcoming truck purchase.