What is the vacuum canister behind my headlight?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Millwright, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Millwright

Millwright Member

What is the vacuum canister behind my driver side headlight. My PVC valve is a T and connects to it. Was going to replace my PCV valve then noticed it was not the setup I was expecting.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its a charcoal canister .It lowers emissions by drawing the fuel vapor from the gas tank to the carb to be burned in the engine. It helps fuel mileage a little as well. Some people remove them for a "cleaner" look .But is more hassle to do so. So I left mine alone .

Attached Files:

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some people get rid of it...and then later complain about their car smelling like fumes.

4. Millwright

Millwright Member

Bit of a follow up question...

I was going to replace my PCV valve. The connection on my PCV valve is a T. One side of the T goes canister I was mentioning before. That seems to make sense with how everything should work. So my question is why does everywhere I go list a straight standard PCV valve for a 73 Camaro? Its like this system didn't exist. Clearly from the responses above this is a normal thing to have in this car.

5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check out some factory drawings on the car. Maybe factory was a standard PCV with a T somewhere down the line, and was switched out. (After all...it was 46 years ago).:D

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't know for sure if this is what you're referring to but many (GM) pcv valves have a universal inlet design and the plastic fitting, be it a tee, a 090, or straight, is put on at the end of manufacturing. Last one I bought was straight so I pulled the 090 fitting off the old one.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can heat it up where it attaches to the valve with a lighter and it'll come off. Then put it on the new one before it cools.