What I've been working on.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Damon23, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

I've been very fortunate to have owned some awesome cars. I've been even more fortunate to build relationships thru sites like this in that time as well. Over that last 10 years 5 killer fbody cars have come and gone. The beige 79 Z28 was the first I took from run down to best Camaro at the Fbody Gathering in '10. Getting that award from Scott Settlemeyer was a highlight that I will never forget and really after that I could care less about any other award.

Fast forward to now. After playing with everything from a 63 Catalina to a 67 & 69 F100, to a 71 D100 Dodge (that was a kick ass truck) I decided to get a car that I kind of always wanted. A 1975 Chevelle Malibu Classic. I know right? Who the hell wants one of those? Well, after growing up riding around in my grandmothers and having two friends in high school have one I found one one ebay. It was in Las Vegas. All the ones around here were rusted or sitting on huge rims and trimmed wheel wells. So I rolled the dice. I got lucky again as it will not need panel replacement and it actually runs really well. Here is the youtube video he made and posted to the auction.

After seeing some old nascar photos of the 70's and watching the "Bank Robber Special" video I decided what I wanted to do. Enjoy the pics.
    Before Shipping
    [​IMG]
    Home, new wheels US Mags Ramblers.....The thought was good but no.
    [​IMG]
    80 Corvette aluminum wheels. What don't these look good on?
    [​IMG]
    Repainted tail panel, redo of the light lenses and a 4 inch tuck of the bumper.
    [​IMG]
    Same tuck to the front bumper.
    [​IMG]
    Daytona Beach Turkey Rod Run '16. Had a blast as usual.
    [​IMG]
    Merry Christmas to me. A spoilers by randy custom front spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lets get rid of that vinyl roof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time to change the altitude
    [​IMG]
    And give it new shoes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made my own rear spoiler to keep it planted with all of that 145hp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found the build sheet behind the passenger side door panel. Freemont, CA built
    [​IMG]
    Had the exhaust done. Hooker aerochamber and 2.5in and it sings
    [​IMG]
    Roof in primer for now.
    [​IMG]

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  2. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

It's been fun. I did not know that all the suspension from a 94-96 Impala SS fits on this car. I was running the springs and shocks until I got 2in lowering springs from OPGI. It runs a 1996 9C1 cop car rear sway bar 1 1/8 and a 1978 Trans Am WS6 Trans Am front sway bar. Belltech street performance shocks and 17x9 front wheels and widened to 17x10 in the rear. Mickey Thompson street comps 275/40 up front and 315/35 in the rear. I have the room so I may put the rears up front and have the 9's up front widened to 11's and put 335's out back. It handles crisp now for this big ole bruiser. Plans are for a respray in the same blue, 290 hp crate and probably a fitech fuel injection set up and a OD trans. I've got a rear end out of a 96 Impala SS that I will gain a 3.42 gear, limited slip and disc brakes. I'll just have to change the axles to 5x4.75. After that move into the interior and throw in some buckets, dash cover and headliner and call it a day. All in time. I'm having so much fun with this car. And the best part is I'm the only one at cruise ins with one. I guess that could be a good or bad thing.

l16pilot likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I had a 74, It was a nice riding car. Nice find. Not crazy about the spoiler but to each his or her own.

4. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

It's to tall right now. I need to have the slit welded up now that I have the contour I need. All the NASCAR cars back then had them.

5. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to admit those mid-seventies cars have been growing on me. The Malibu and the Monte Carlo. I used to think they were ugly but the curves have grown on me.

Sweet car man. I like it!

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Looks like a fun project. Enjoy.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You've been keeping this a secret haven't you? I had a '74 Malibu Classic too. I blew the original engine up and put a 350 in it with a few mods. It wasn't fast but it was fun. Enjoy it Damon

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My buddy from high school had a 74 MC, he bought it a week after I bought my Camaro in April of 1985. He sold it last year after owning it for 31 years and I swear when it left his driveway, a part of me left with it. Lots of time and miles spent cruising in that car and all the fixing/upgrading we did thru the years..... I miss it.

What I don't miss is the safety latch on the underside of the hood..... I blasted my head on that SOB more times than I care to remember.......

9. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

Nice work

10. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

love it!!! heres mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 442.jpg

Damon23 likes this.